New to Cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mwomack

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 36 Gal Bowfront I plan on stocking with Cichlids. I was going to plant it but chickened out, but I have many fake decor to separate areas/territories. Here is my Stocking list, I'm new to Cichlids so any tips would be appreciated.

1 pair of Bolivian Rams
1 pair of German Blue Rams -OR- 1 pair of apistos

School of Dwarf Neon Rainbows

Possibly a pair of Veil Angels

From my research I've heard this is an okay possibility as long as they have good temperaments.

Last edited by a moderator:
Forget the praecox (dwarf neon) rainbows, I had a group of them in a 55 and they still hammered each other. Not a problem for other species, but not the peaceful schooling fish I expected. There are other species of rainbows that would work better, or tetras are another alternative.
I'd recommend a single angelfish, tank isn't big enough for 2 pairs of cichlids. Bolivian rams are a bit more hardy than GBR's.
I have several proven pairs of cutteri available, a pair of those would work well in that size tank. They're pretty mellow cichlids, don't claim a large territory for spawning, and aren't likely to do any harm to other fish IME.

Back
Top Bottom