new to cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
darkmatter_3500 said:
If you go to aquamojo.com you can see what alot of the New World cichlids look like when fully grown and showing their colors, they have great pics of New Worlds.

Thanks for the website I prefer not shipping and purchaseing local

Red44 said:
I saw at my fish store I work at sells ***"t cichlids some are bright blue I like two that had a name were the yellow eletric cichlid and red zebra cichlid

I have about six different types of cichlids currently. Two of them are Red Zebras and they are by far the most aggressive. I would be very careful what is in a tank with them. They get their sights set on another and they don't let up until the fish is removed from the tank or dead.

Red zebras can be aggressive but are easily shown up. My elongatus and maingano show them who is boss. They are on the same level as Kenyi.

I was at my work today and in the plant tank that have tons of different plants in them there are a few cichlids in there one I know is electric yellow and the others are blue and red theirs also plants in some of the cichlids tanks and they don't eat them. I got rid of most of my fish today, all I have left are my 3 balas, 2 bettas,1tetra and my petco.

Now I'm debating on what sand to get white, brown or yellowish brown. I didn't want to spend alot would play sand or pool filter sand work?

Ok Ok .. i skimmed quickly but I have to add my 2cents. My wife and I currently have a 55gallon with more than 25 Cichlids ALL HEALTHY AND HAPPY.. Yellow Labs, Zebra's, Peacocks, Acei's, Johannis, Albino Labs, Electric Yellows, ect. All ranging from 1" - 6"

YES you may use play sand.. as long as it's the pre-washed, pre-filtered children's play sand... (Lowes, Home Depot) 1lb per gallon recommended) Plants {I don't think} they get eaten but they do up-root them (never fails) I Suggest fake plants.

We maintain this tank at 1.002 - 1.010 Salinity, 79*-84* degrees.. This is a holding tank for our breeding tanks. When fish grow over 6" we get store credit for them. As well as the juveniles.

By "over stocking" you keep aggression and abuse down. But we combined three tanks worth together at once.. Over stocking once is another key to the success. I have tried stocking over time and you always get one big boy beating everything to death..

When we do a weekly WC (5-10g) The fish become aggressive (low tide/ drought time)..Promoting breeding behavior. The rock work is set up to have no dead ends so if mating happens, in "theory" they will choose the one dead end. A plastic cup which we then can scoop them out.

Pic Included:

2012-04-03%252020.06.14.jpg

Oh and pleco's don't do well in those high salinity levels... But I have a Asian Up-Side down catfish that loves it.

So use your google machine, your melon cap, take words as grains of salt and good luck. :) I don't Believe in cant's only in cans!

LIVE NEAR SYRACUSE, NY? I'd sell you some rocks for your cichlid built.

I really would not recommend play sand for a cichlid tank.

Play sand is very light (not heavy), and easily stirs in the water. African cichlids love to move sand around, so often you may not see a clear tank. Also if you have a HOB filter, the play sand can easily get into your filter and wreck your propeller. Also, play sand makes your tank look really dirty. I made the mistake of saving money and bought play sand, I ended up wasting time and money by needing to switch it out.

I recommend getting black blasting sand (usually found in hardware stores), it is very inexpensive and it brings out the color of your cichlids.

I also recommend pool filter sand as it is also very inexpensive and heavy.

CaliO said:
Ok Ok .. i skimmed quickly but I have to add my 2cents. My wife and I currently have a 55gallon with more than 25 Cichlids ALL HEALTHY AND HAPPY.. Yellow Labs, Zebra's, Peacocks, Acei's, Johannis, Albino Labs, Electric Yellows, ect. All ranging from 1" - 6"

YES you may use play sand.. as long as it's the pre-washed, pre-filtered children's play sand... (Lowes, Home Depot) 1lb per gallon recommended) Plants {I don't think} they get eaten but they do up-root them (never fails) I Suggest fake plants.

We maintain this tank at 1.002 - 1.010 Salinity, 79*-84* degrees.. This is a holding tank for our breeding tanks. When fish grow over 6" we get store credit for them. As well as the juveniles.

By "over stocking" you keep aggression and abuse down. But we combined three tanks worth together at once.. Over stocking once is another key to the success. I have tried stocking over time and you always get one big boy beating everything to death..

When we do a weekly WC (5-10g) The fish become aggressive (low tide/ drought time)..Promoting breeding behavior. The rock work is set up to have no dead ends so if mating happens, in "theory" they will choose the one dead end. A plastic cup which we then can scoop them out.

Pic Included:

Oh and pleco's don't do well in those high salinity levels... But I have a Asian Up-Side down catfish that loves it.

So use your google machine, your melon cap, take words as grains of salt and good luck. :) I don't Believe in cant's only in cans!

LIVE NEAR SYRACUSE, NY? I'd sell you some rocks for your cichlid built.

Thanks very useful information I don't live close to ny I'm way up north Ontario, Canada.

Cornstar said:
I really would not recommend play sand for a cichlid tank.

Play sand is very light (not heavy), and easily stirs in the water. African cichlids love to move sand around, so often you may not see a clear tank. Also if you have a HOB filter, the play sand can easily get into your filter and wreck your propeller. Also, play sand makes your tank look really dirty. I made the mistake of saving money and bought play sand, I ended up wasting time and money by needing to switch it out.

I recommend getting black blasting sand (usually found in hardware stores), it is very inexpensive and it brings out the color of your cichlids.

I also recommend pool filter sand as it is also very inexpensive and heavy.

Thanks I've been trying to find pool filter sand but can't find it were should I look hardware stores? And I'll also look in to the black blasting sand.

I don't have stir up issues but I also don't give them more than 2" that way the waste doesn't build into gas in the DSB...

Never heard of the blasting sand but my guess is it's used for sand blasting cabinets. Cause I've never used an out side blaster with any color but beach sand colored.

But +1 on that (I'm going to look into it)

In this 76 I set up I decided to use pool filter sand which is a first for me. So far I love it. It settles nicely and looks very natural. The coolest part though is that the currents in the tank from my power head has caused the sand to stir and create formations I would have never thought of. You can actually watch the sand move around on itself in the bottom of the tank. Kinda cool.

I use pool filter sand and love it. I can use my syphon on it just like I would gravel and it doesn't drain out.

Look at my pics to see my sand.

Lady_Alia said:
I use pool filter sand and love it. I can use my syphon on it just like I would gravel and it doesn't drain out.

Look at my pics to see my sand.

The pics look great the sand looks nice

Back
Top Bottom