New to cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Caliban07

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm looking in to my first cichlid tank. I'm a real beginner. So much so that I have only just realised it's spelt cichlid and not chichlid.

I have a juwel rio 180 which I think equates to 47 US gallon. I know the internal filter may not be adequate and I think it only turns of 3 times tank volume so I will be running a fluval 306 in conjunction.

I have chosen a very fine gravel for my substrate. Almost as fine as sand which I will of course wash thoroughly beforehand.

I am now aware that most cichlids will uproot and damage plants so there is not really any point in having live plants. I know that cichlids require lots of cave and rocks etc so scaping will not be a problem.

My problem is stocking. I know my size tank will not suit many cichlids but I would rather have a few large growers than lots of small ones and dither fish will be something I will only think about if there is enough room.

My tap water is safe other than dechlorination and it is about 7.5ph so although I know fish can adapt to ph I would rather chose fish to match my tap than to try and alter my water to suit the fish. The good news is I haven't set my sights on anything yet so I can disregard any cichlids that prefer soft water. I believe I am now looking at small to medium cichlids from Central America and the lakes of Africa.

I don't want many and would prefer to keep only 2 species for now. So that means a combination with the least aggression. Of course only one male in each to reduce aggression and bullying. I would probably only consider having more females than one if I could be sure that they would not fight for the male.

So basically 2 species and 1 male and 1 female in both would be how I would prefer but if there is anything I have missed it you can add I'm always open to advice.

Let's have some suggestions please! :D

Thanks in advance.

You have a good plan of attack. Defiantly don't mess around with your ph to much. As for stocking and decor that depends on what type of Cichlid tank you want. There are thousands of species of cichlids, but a broken down into to two main categories, new world and old world. New world is your south and Central Americans. They can vary from a few inches to over a foot. Old world is your African cichlids and these are broken down into three groups mbuna, peacocks, and haps. In a tank that comes out to 47 gallons your best options IMO are either an mbuna tank, or a group of small to medium cichlids in a community setting.

You could do a breeding pair of convict cichlids, firemouths, blue Acaras, or do mbuna cichlids its your choice.

Are any of those compatible to live together with minimal aggression? Say 2 convicts and 2 fire mouth?

I wouldn't do convicts if you want tankmates. You could always do a single convict single firemouth and a pleco. Or you could do a breeding pair of firemouths.
I would do
2- firemouths
1- Spotted Raphael catfish
1-BN Pleco

With enough caves, fake plants, and water changes it is doable in a 47 gallon. Make sure you have 2 pieces of driftwood on opposite sides of the tank for the pleco if you get one.

I used to have a blue acara in a 56 gallon and he was a very fun and attractive fish. He is a smaller SA cichlid so would do fine. They are also minimally aggressive so should do good with firemouths. JMO

Thanks again. I kinda limited myself to Central and northern cichlids and African lake cichlids because if my tap water ph. I believe South American cichlids and some in parts of Africa prefer soft acidic water. My ph is 7.5 here. So wanted to get cichlids that will suit this ph.

Personally in a 47 I'd go with a large rock pile, and a group of mbuna. IMO a tank with a colony of chailosi would be cool.

image-3726273560.jpg

Not my picture

I agree. Acaras are pretty hardy so I really dont think you would have an issue. Especially if you could find locally bred as they would be breeding in same water conditions.

Acaras will be just fine. You could do a pair of blue Acaras with I think a bristlenose pleco with no problems. Just keep up on water changes.

Ok done a tad but if research on the blue acara everything looks good.

Not too aggressive for a cichlid. Doesn't grow too big. Can withstand a wide range of PH. Good cichlid beginners fish. Hardy.

My next questions are. Will a plec eat the eggs if they breed? As I don't want to compromise the harmony of the tank I'd prefer not to have any more cichlids than that.

What about some corys for the bottom and a small shoal of larger tetra for the top? Maybe even some larger danios?

I'm a bit concerned about planting the aquarium as I don't want them to dig the plants up.

Any ideas to more study plants that could go with. Also where do you guys get the rocks/slate to put In the aquarium. I have a very fine gravel not sand is this ok?

What are the dimensions of your tank btw just wondering? I wouldn't get any Cory's the Acaras will probably kill them when they spawn. I wouldn't get any schooling fish either just because of the tank size. Acaras do Max out at 6-8 inches and if your tanks only 30 inches long they need that entire space for territory.

The pleco should be fine as they generally mind their own business and hide a lot. I think the eggs would most likely be safe.

If you can't find slate, clay plant pots work well as a structure for them to lay eggs on. Just make sure to rinse the pot with hot water. As far as plants go your best bet is very hardy stuff like java ferns. I don't to much about aquarium plants.

If I were you I would get 2 different fish. I have never had luck keeping 2 of the same kind without lots of aggression(except angels) all fish that can fit in the mouth of the acara could be eaten as with any american cichlid. Mine was pretty laid back but he was my only acara. I had 2 sevs 1 gold and 1 red headed and gold tormented the red until I moved him. Unless you want fry in that case they should be only fish in the tank.

Hmm I am torn. I think I would like the possibly of breeding. I know my gf is going to ask what is the point of having the big tank for those 2 fish haha.

The tank is a juwel rio so whatever the dimensions for those are. I know it's 3 and a little bit foot long.

Thank for input but I think I'm gonna go with the 2 acara and the plec. Just to keeps options open just incase I decide to change my mind last minute (I do that a lot) what else would you put with 1 acara? Fire mouth?

Yeah that would be a good choice. Do what you like best, cichlids are really fun fish I think youll be happy no matter what.

If you did 1 Acara and 1 firemouth make sure to have plenty of caves and sight breakers. I would keep a pleco with a school of 7 tiger barbs, or 5 giant danios.

Thanks to all. Have a bit of thinking to do I guess. Have a much better idea though now.

Thanks again :)

Back
Top Bottom