New To Cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dano83

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello,

I've had my 55 gallon tank set up for 2 years with mollies but i just gave them away and want to start a cichlid tank. I want mbuna cichlids and i'm just wondering how many females to males should i get?

I don't want any pairs in the tank...

Thank You!

1:3, 1:4 it really depends on the specific mbuna, some wont tolerate other males period and afew the m to f ratio isnt as important. Buying mbuna at sexable size will be more expensive. Buying juvi fish and growing them could work out better if theres a slightly odd number of males to females. Adding semi mature mbuna together can cause serious aggression especially if you arnt adding them all at once or in groups. If theyre raised together it could cut the overall aggression in half as the individuals know each other and have grown to know who dominant and dont always have to fight to find out. This will obviously cut down on challanges because they'll know who's boss, who not to mess with and whos the daddy in the tank. Also each cichlid will have their own personality and the biggest isnt always on top.

And that's why theyre so interesting. They really arnt stupid and behave intelligently, the difference between your standard molly tetra bore is vast. Welcome to cichlids, youll never go back.

Last edited:
thanks for all of the helpful info. Most of the cichlids i'm getting are vegetarian so will NLS cichlid food work for them?

Most will say yes and theyre probably right but a mixture with a good spirilina pellet as a base is recommended for herbis and theyll eat most green blanched fresh veggies.

I found the pellets on amazon.com and ordered them. Would it be ok to give them brime shrimp once a week? Also can someone please give me a list of Herbivore cichlids?

These are some of the herbivore cichlids i've found so far...
Kenyi Cichlid
Demasoni Cichlid
Acei Cichlid
Snow White

Back
Top Bottom