New to cichlids need advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cichlid_keeper

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I mixed some cichlids a few months ago that I was told will be fine together and now been told they will not, I have 2 blue johanni 2 convict 2 peacock 2 jack dempsey 1 bumble bee and not for sure wat the other 2 r called but 1 is african and all yellow with a black like across his top fin, the other is orange with white patchs was told it gets a big lump on his head with it grows up, I would like 2 know which ones I can keep together and which 2 re home they r all under 3" and get along great right now but i don't think they will for long there startin 2 get bigger and more territorial any advice would b great

There is a good amount of aggression in there now, what size tank are they in currently? I would start by seperating the new world and africans based on aggression differences but even this will be limited by tank size. The large orange fish with white patches sounds like a midas/red devil which normally gets more aggressive than your other fish.

Do you have photos of your fish. Sounds to me like you received some bad advice. You yellow fish is a yellow lab your orange fish with white which gets a lump on its head I'm not sure with our pics.

There is only two fish that I know of that get a lump, cyrtocara moori or blue dolphin cichlid, which obviously it's not the other is frontosa which are usual black and white striped, but a man made hybrid the rusty or red frontosa has been introduced to the hobby, which has reddish brown stripes. But I would need a pic to confirm anything else

the tank is only a 75 gal, and I found out the orange 1 is a midas thx 2 ur hlp, and the yellow is a lab, my plan was 2 remove the jack dempseys the convicts and the midas, I can only access the net with my phone and not sure how 2 post pics with it, lmk if that will work and wat else I should do, thx 4 the fast replys and the hlp

You should be able to upload pics from you phone, what phone is it? Doesn't matter if not.
The fish you plan to take out, will help as they aren't Malawi like the rest . If malawi cichlids are what you would like to keep. Have a read up on Malawi species and care . And ask questions if you have any

As a general rule you tend to over stock with malawi's as they are territorial. So you need to over filter and do regular water changes. To keep them happy and healthy.Plenty of hiding places should be available, tunnels, caves etc.

Always check what your buying, before you buy research and ask questions to avoid buying something incompatible. Also avoid buying from tanks that are labeled mixed malawi's as they tend to be hybrids.

There is plenty of information on the web about water conditions and species, and their dietary requirements. Feel free to pm if you get stuck as I have about 20 books just for Malawi cichlids. Lol

Good luck and have fun

Also you may need to swap your peacock, as they don't always work with mbuna which is what you have. You can keep it and see how it gets on, which is what I would maybe try first , and remove their gets bullied a lot.You will probably get mixed advice regarding the peacock, but I'll let you decided

Back
Top Bottom