New to the aquarium world

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheGrza

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I set up a 55 gallon. Have a variety of lake Malawi cichlids but was wondering if anyone could I.D. This one for me. Based on the research I did I thought it was maybe in the pseudotropheus fam.

image-3138152004.jpg

That's definitely a frontosa. Look at my photo album. They come from lake tanganyika. Shouldn't be in with you Malawi fish, they have different dietary needs and get big! Males can reach 16" and females can reach 10".

kelbaker79 said:
Looks like a Frontosa to me...I have 10 of them, here's a photo of mine:

Very nice! I luvins my frontosa, ya can't get a better looking tank than a frontosa tank! lol

Lady_Alia said:
Very nice! I luvins my frontosa, ya can't get a better looking tank than a frontosa tank! lol

Thanks!! I agree, Fronts are gorgeous! Poor guys are in the process right now of being moved around to bigger tanks (that's why that tank looks so bad...lol) But they will be happier, they are getting big enough now to be split up :)

kelbaker79 said:
Thanks!! I agree, Fronts are gorgeous! Poor guys are in the process right now of being moved around to bigger tanks (that's why that tank looks so bad...lol) But they will be happier, they are getting big enough now to be split up :)

I'm sure they'll be thrilled!! I'm gonna send you a private message, gotta question for ya :-D

I have her in a tank with 2 labs, a rusty, a giraffe, a zebra, a peacock, and a johanni. Is it really the end of the world if I leave her in there?

TheGrza said:
I have her in a tank with 2 labs, a rusty, a giraffe, a zebra, a peacock, and a johanni. Is it really the end of the world if I leave her in there?

She/he DEFINATELY needs a larger tank...in the near future anyway, usually for Frontosa, in IMO, need approx 90 gallons per fish. Maybe someone else can join in and give more info?...

TheGrza said:

The end of the world....nope, it sure isn't. Unhappy fish...probably. I've given you my opinion...take it or leave it.
Good luck!

I appreciate it. I was misinformed at my LFS while selecting the assortment and unfortunately it may be a few weeks before I can set up another tank due to cost etc.

If you arent to attach to the fish maybe you could take it back?

TheGrza said:
I appreciate it. I was misinformed at my LFS while selecting the assortment and unfortunately it may be a few weeks before I can set up another tank due to cost etc.

I was too! I have an mbuna tank and was assured that the frontosa would be fine! So after getting it home I did some research. You can leave them together, but for the health and happiness of the fish you probably shouldn't. I now have a separate frontosa tank and I gotta tell ya, there's nothing as gorgeous as a tank full of frontosas!
Good luck!

It is a gorgeous fish lady Alia, and hobgob it would be hard to part with such a good looking fish. I think I'll try to set up another tank.

Back
Top Bottom