New to the hobby

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joshbou56

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys, fairly new to this hobby (within the past 9 months) and just joined this forum. I have 3 tanks running right now: a 20 gallon community tank, a 10 gallon sick tank, and a 55 gallon cichlid tank. I made a beginners mistake and mixed cichlids from different waters together. So far so good. I have a jack dempsey, convict, firemouth, yellow lab, peacock, demasoni, and bristlenose pleco. The fish are all still fairly young. Let me know what you guys think of my tank!

Attachments

• image-47352054.jpg
    image-47352054.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 109
Welcome to the forum. Your tanks looks very nice! I have a couple of Africans with my SA/CA for a few years now with no issues but the types you have, IMO you will have to separate.

Nice tank, sometimes mixing works, hopefully it does for you. I would just say though...if it works now then don't add anymore, one fish can really throw off the balance of a tank. What's is the 20g community?

You may luck out with mixing old and new worlds, you may not, but one thing for certain is your fish will outgrow your tank(s). Looking into upgrading in the rear future. nice tank by the way

Hey guys, fairly new to this hobby (within the past 9 months) and just joined this forum. I have 3 tanks running right now: a 20 gallon community tank, a 10 gallon sick tank, and a 55 gallon cichlid tank. I made a beginners mistake and mixed cichlids from different waters together. So far so good. I have a jack dempsey, convict, firemouth, yellow lab, peacock, demasoni, and bristlenose pleco. The fish are all still fairly young. Let me know what you guys think of my tank!

Welcome to the hobby and the forum. The tank looks nice and you've got the standard starter cichlids. Your fish will only get more interesting from here. There are many other species from the convict family that are much nicer in color and more mild mannered. Although the convict holds a special place in my heart as my first Cichlid.

Enjoy the Africans for another few months, then drop them like a bad habit and head over to the SA/CA group (see sig). We'll see you there.

Nice tank, sometimes mixing works, hopefully it does for you. I would just say though...if it works now then don't add anymore, one fish can really throw off the balance of a tank. What's is the 20g community?

In the community tank I have 2 guppies, 1 zebra danio, 1 cherry barb, 1 fire gourami, 2 platys, 1 blue ram, 1 peppered cory catfish, 1 bamboo shrimp, and a common pleco

A common Pleco shouldn't be in a 20g, they grow over a foot long, they should have 75g minimum. Also, plecos have huge bioloads, and will destroy the water of a 20g. Also, cory cats should be in groups of at least 3. A jack Dempsey will get too big for a 55, unless it was alone. You might want to do some more research about your fish.

In the community tank I have 2 guppies, 1 zebra danio, 1 cherry barb, 1 fire gourami, 2 platys, 1 blue ram, 1 peppered cory catfish, 1 bamboo shrimp, and a common pleco

Cherry Barbs and Danios are schoaling fish that need to be in a group of at least 6... Being lone specimens they will suffer from severe stress

Back
Top Bottom