New World 55 Gallon Stock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I been told that before. In a 55, they won't be to crowded?

Some people will say yes and some would say no. I have mine in a 63 which is not much bigger. I think a lot of it is to do with luck. All cichlids are different so really tends on if yours turn out to be aggressive or not. Some people say they have had mild JD's and GT's and other have been a nightmare.

I personally think you might be OK if they are introduced together at early age and have hiding spots. JD's need a cave that they can claim as theirs.

It's too early to say if mine will work out long term. So far the JD chases the GT around. But nothing serious :)

Expecting every fish of a species to reach the maximum potential size is naive, folks. It's akin to sayin' I should be 7' 2", weigh 350 lbs. and have had a stellar, hall of fame career in the NBA simply 'cuz I'm human. A certain percentage of any species will get larger than average, a certain percentage will remain smaller than average, and the majority are gonna hover in the average range. Neither GTs or JDs have an average length anywhere near 12"; 8" for a big GT male is far, far away more typical than 12", and 8"-10" is more typical for JD males, with females smaller in both species. That should be the basis for answers, not the potential growth of that 1 in 1000, genetically superior individual who sets the max size for the species.

A 55 gallon is more than adequate for average members of either species. Just like with any cichlid, mixing species should be done with caution. Some individuals are mellow and some are more aggressive. Yer best bet if ya wanna try an individual of each in the tank is to buy 'em young and introduce them together. Rather than a common pleco, look into some of the mid-size species, such as the larger Peckoltia sp. With adequate filtration and a weekly water change of 30-50%, you should be able to maintain the tank as long as one or the other does not become overly aggressive.

WYite

RAH said:
I been told that before. In a 55, they won't be to crowded?

Sure to fail jd can teach up the 12'' and Green terrors are 10 to 11'' simply not enough room.

Expecting every fish of a species to reach the maximum potential size is naive, folks. It's akin to sayin' I should be 7' 2", weigh 350 lbs. and have had a stellar, hall of fame career in the NBA simply 'cuz I'm human. A certain percentage of any species will get larger than average, a certain percentage will remain smaller than average, and the majority are gonna hover in the average range. Neither GTs or JDs have an average length anywhere near 12"; 8" for a big GT male is far, far away more typical than 12", and 8"-10" is more typical for JD males, with females smaller in both species. That should be the basis for answers, not the potential growth of that 1 in 1000, genetically superior individual who sets the max size for the species.

A 55 gallon is more than adequate for average members of either species. Just like with any cichlid, mixing species should be done with caution. Some individuals are mellow and some are more aggressive. Yer best bet if ya wanna try an individual of each in the tank is to buy 'em young and introduce them together. Rather than a common pleco, look into some of the mid-size species, such as the larger Peckoltia sp. With adequate filtration and a weekly water change of 30-50%, you should be able to maintain the tank as long as one or the other does not become overly aggressive.

WYite
This is a great point and absolutely true. Aquarium specimens tend to be slightly smaller than wild counterparts as well.

JDs and GTs fit just fine in 55g's btw. I have 2 JD's in a 40b myself.

JD's reach 12", are you sure? 10" is the most I have ever known but 8" is the norm.

In 30 years in the hobby, I've read 'bout the vaunted 12" JD, I've heard 'bout the vaunted 12" JD, and I've talked to people who told me 'bout their vaunted 12" JDs. I've never seen one either live or in a pic that had anything in it to give an accurate means to reference the fish's size. Now I'm not gonna say it's impossible by any means; in college I had a huge male convict that I measured at 6 3/4" TL with a body depth of 4" when he died, and I've seen a few old JD males that went 10". But a 12-incher would be the Shaquille O'Neal of the JD world. :)

Same thing with GTs. I've heard of huge individuals, but have never seen any much larger than 8" or 9".

WYite

Well I went to go look at the GT and JD and I was surprised when I saw a Loiselli cichlid. Does any body know of them. It said 10 inch max and minimum of 55 gallon. But I don't always trust them.

RAH said:
I like convicts and I really like your firemouth. Severum have never really been the top of my list. How about Green Terrors some say 6-8 inches others 10-12 inches same with jacks but also heard electric blue jacks are smaller?

If you want one wet pet go Green Terror. Not for just size. But sheer aggression moat GT's should be housed alone. Also they are beautiful fish w personality.

rocksor said:
Nandopsis grammodes

Super aggressive fish. Has to be housed alone. They also are suuuuuuper slow growers. I got mine back in July/aug. 2", he's still only 3.5".

But as adults they look amazing. The attitude to boot. They don't call them mini dovii's for nothing.

Well I went to go look at the GT and JD and I was surprised when I saw a Loiselli cichlid. Does any body know of them. It said 10 inch max and minimum of 55 gallon. But I don't always trust them.

They are also nice looking fish. Similar in size to GT's and similarily aggressive too. So not really much to choose between them depending on which you prefer. I think GT's are nicer personally and have more personality.

Every JD I have kept has. Been very timid. Only coming out for food. They will scrap with other fish no doubt, but that bang on the glass and finger chasing personality is not there.

And yes once upon a time I had 11" JD. ...maybe just under but still fair to say closer to 11. Was in my 180 before I started a pair of dovii. :)

I would love a dovii or even a black nasty... Future plans in action! Lol

Back
Top Bottom