New World Cichlid Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sliderfish

Aquarium Advice Addict
I purchased a 150 tall tank and have it all cycled and ready to go. Went with the 150 tall because I only had a 4 ft spot approved by the old lady. Got a great deal on it and figured 150 was better than a 90 if nothing else to have more water volume. I realize a 6ft would give me more options, which is why I have been debating how to stock it so much.

I am looking to do a CA/SA cichlid tank and have been researching it pretty intensely over the last two or three weeks. I know that I want a Green Severum and I have a nice young Featherfin Cat that will go in as well. I would really like to do a group of Geos, but I have used smoothed rock (approx 2-3 inch in diameter) as a substrate. From what I've read this seems to have been a deal breaker for them. I had done sand in dozens of others and selected something different before realizing I wanted Geos :facepalm:. I am not wanting to do a substrate change at this point.

I like the idea of a group of Firemouths or Blue Acara to fill out the tank, but don't want to make purchases without hearing if any of the experienced keepers here had any suggestions. I want something that will coexist with my featherfin and future severum. I prefer a small group of 5 or 6 inch fish to one large one, but am open to suggestion. This tank will not be planted, has several large top to bottom pieces of driftwood and I can provide caves and other hiding spots if needed.

So let me hear (or read I guess :p) your thoughts!

Peeps like to give geo's a 6 ft. Tank around here anyways I believe. I'm rocking some electric blue acara with a single male thorichthys maculipinnis/Elioti. They do alright together, bickering during feedings but nothing torturous. Things may be different if a spawn occurs on either end. Here's my only reservation with your setup... that substrate has got to go. Every cichlid I keep both large and small do the majority of their feeding by gill filtering food from the sand. I couldn't imagine keeping them on anything other than a fine Sandy bottom.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ugh, thats not what I want to hear...

I love the elioti.

I know man. Substrate swaps are a major pita. Think about cool it will be to watch your 8 new Elioti happily sift through the sand than beat the crap out of each other for the last algae wafer (based on true events).

Assuming I do swap out the rock...I use blasting sand to cap all my planted tanks. I have around 40 lbs sitting around and can get more...would this be OK for the gill sifters?

What color? I use pool filter and play ground sand.

Well with the sand/gravel problem done, Ellioti will be hard for me to get my hands on. They are at the top of my list right now though. If I were to do Meeki, how many should I shoot for? Just a pair or is a group possible? What about Acara or others? Are there some Geos that may work in the 4 footer without anything but the Featherfin sharing the bottom?

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it.

Wet spot has the maculipinnis in stock. Not sure about the geos? You could try acara but they may battle with the others. I don't know all that much about the temperament of feather fins so can't help there. Wait for the others. Some really knowledgable people on here, should.pop in later.. I'm just bored at work so I'm spending more time than usual on here haha..

I cringe when I hear someone putting coal Slag in a tank with anything that sifts through their gills.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

And the cavalry arrives.. hope I didn't botch it too bad mike.

And the cavalry arrives.. hope I didn't botch it too bad mike.

I'm the odd man out on this one..LOL
I use to do powder coating and body work including sand blasting. For geos my first choice is play sand or natural sand. then pool filter sand. All I can say is if you ever get the chance to look at all 3 under a micro scope you will see why. I think most fish will pick it up and spit but the geos and the heckelii I had were continually shooting it out their gills. Just my opinion. 99% will say its ok.
When you get a sliver of it in your finger and try to get it out.....Well you know where I'm going with this.

Pool filter sand isn't out of the question, hence why I asked if blasting sand would be ok in the first place. I keep Cory's on it and they have never had an issue, but I have no experience with these other fish. I will look further into it before I make a decision as which sand to go with. I can't imagine running any type of abrasive material, including quartz, through my mouth all day...

Beyond sand, any suggestions about the fish themselves? :)

Back
Top Bottom