New World Cichlid Stocking Advice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I completely disagree with the above comments. That desk looks very solid. I bet you could get 3-4 people to stand on it and it would be fine. Tank stands aren't build with any super strong materials of special stuff to make them hold extra weight, they are just a basic box with doors. Mine is 3/4 inch oak put together with 1/2 brat nails it holds a 65g. But it's your choice. A 26g will only be good for 2 dwarf cichlids...either rams or apistos with a school of cories and a school of tetras.

A 36 gallon is also only large enough for one pair of dwarf cichlids.

Mostly I'm suggesting a stand because keeping an aquarium around electronics/computer stuff is generally not a good idea. One mistake with the bucket or the Python or whatever you're using for maintenance, and your stuff is ruined. The most careful aquarist is still human, mistakes happen. I've flooded tanks many, many times with my fill hose.

29 Gallon Stocking?

OK, thank you all for your thoughts:thanks:
Think I'm going with 29 Gal (30 x 12 x 18), Marineland c-220 canister & 24-36" Marineland LED aquatic plant light.

What do you think of the following stocking (try to loosely follow Amazon clearwater biome):

2 x Apisto agassizii
2 x Cockatoo Apisto
5 x Pencilfish
6 x Neon Tetra
4 x Sterbai Cory

AqAdvisor seems to show it's ok

:thanks:

Too many Apistos for a 29, especially if you are keeping pairs. Stick to one pair. Apistos stay almost exclusively at the bottom of the tank. You'll have plenty going on with a pair and the Sterbai (you could get away with 5 IMO). You could do 6-8 pencilfish (these can be difficult to keep) along with the neons.

Apisto #s

Too many Apistos for a 29, especially if you are keeping pairs. Stick to one pair. Apistos stay almost exclusively at the bottom of the tank. You'll have plenty going on with a pair and the Sterbai (you could get away with 5 IMO). You could do 6-8 pencilfish (these can be difficult to keep) along with the neons.

Are odd #s of Apistos a bad idea:confused:

I will source them from LiveAquaria, the A. agassizii are sold as a pair (M-F I assume) but some of the others are sold individually. Wasn't sure if a solitary assorted Apisto or even Laetacara curviceps might work as a 3rd Cichlid?

If not, I like the option of bumping up the Cories and Pencilfish (or Tetras)(y)

I've read Pencilfish are sensitive to high nitrates, are water changes the concern?

Back
Top Bottom