New World Cichlid stocking question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wolfsblood

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I currently have a thriving mbuna tank and I have decided I would like to give SA/CA cichlids a go. I just purchased a 56g Marineland column tank. Not ideal I know but it is the largest tank I can fit in the space that I have. The dimensions are 30" W x 24" T x 18" D. I will be running a Cascade 1000 canister filter and an Aquatech 30-60 HOB that uses Penguin 350 media. I will be stacking slate to create caves and swim throughs. I would ideally like to house 3 fish in any combination from this list: Jack Dempsey(probably not realistic), Firemouth, Blood Parrot, and Convict. I also really like Blue Acaras and Rainbow Cichlids but I have not seen any for sale within 60 miles of me. Any fish I get will be purchased as juveniles and I will not be upgrading to a larger tank. Do you guys see any of these fish working out for me? I would like to stay away from housing just a single fish but I also want my fish to be happy. Any other suggestions? I really like fish that have the iridescent blues and greens.

I have also contemplated a single BP or firemouth in a semi-aggressive community setting. Is this asking for trouble?

A pair of Jack Dempseys would be fine in there. You could have a JD anyway but probably with just one other fish. I have a JD and a Green Terror in a 63 gallon. Wouldn't put a blood parrot or firemouth with a JD though.

A firemouth, convict and a blood parrot would probably work out. Or you could do a firemouth, convict and a Electric Blue Jack Dempsey as they are smaller and less aggressive.

There are other smaller Cichlids that you could look at Rainbows, Salvini's, Honduran Red Points to name a few.

Back
Top Bottom