The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

surferdude

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Well not really, but have been away from this hobby for over 30 years and it looks like alot has changed. I have been reading, watching videos, but really need help...I dont want to screw it up and plan out properly. Had a 55 fresh and a 20 salt...both did very well until I moved out of the house when I was a youngster.

I thought about starting with a reef but after researching, I think a cichlid tank would be perfect. I have a very open living space and have a spot where you can see the tank from regardless where you are in the room, which is quite large. Another great thing about the location, very little sunlight. So I have the location down.

The tank: There is a marineland 60 gallon tank with stand for sale, which I will not use except will utilize the doors. I would prefer to make my own stand and would feel much more comfortable knowing I have a solid stand. The stand, from what I read, is not the best.

I thought about going bigger, like a 120 but Iam terrified the sucker will burst. I have mahogany hardwood flooring and hate to see all that water on my floor...I know its very unlikely, but its in the back of my mind. I would prefer to 60 on the floor then 120, but to be honest, not sure it would matter either way. Maybe down the road, I will get a 120, but since Iam new and at the price for the 60 would probably be perfect for my first setup.

So my first question, the 60 is only about 13" wide...good enough?

Fish...Iam looking at a pretty minimalistic look. Been looking at some youtube vids and pictures and love the look of just maybe a dozen rocks, no plants and painting the back of the aquarium. Gonna do a sand bottom. I dont want super aggressive fish. I love the look of the yellow labs but it looks like they need lots of rocks. Trying to avoid this but willing to put a couple extra in for a few caves, still would like to keep it minimal. Would yellow labs work in such an environment? If so, looking for good tank mates...If not any other suggestions of fish? Dont want big fish since the tank is on the smaller size. Would prefer to overstock with smaller fish then have just a few fish.

Since its gonna be overstocked, Iam going to OVER filter the tank...any suggestions for reasonable priced filters...value for the money? Want to do a couple canisters.

Once I get this far, will have probably have a ton more questions...filter media, heater and lights. I just want to make sure I have the right size tank for the fish I want with a simplistic aqua scape.

Any other suggestions would be great too...Thanks!

Start Search on ebay and Amazon with SunSun Canister... for a start

Back
Top Bottom