Newbie checking in

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

craftyharry

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Evening all,

I'm just getting back into the hobby after a few years off. Have purchased a wide 220litre / 55gal aquarium and am planning on a dwarf Mbuna set up:

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1448140329.366388.jpg

I have acquired a beautiful load of granite for £20 from a local firm (obviously not an lfc at that price) and have been tinkering with my aquascape. Here's my best effort so far, planning on moving the tallest rock a little further right when I install but otherwise I'm pretty happy with the caves / nooks and crannies (bet that goes way over you American's heads. Google it!):

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1448140359.435565.jpg

Have got a large list of fish that I'm going to select around 12 from, all dwarf species. That's another thread though!

I am running a fluval 406 and will be using a wave maker to add to the surface agitation and flow. I'm not sure about the stock light on the tank but am considering adding a blue led. Warmth provided by 2x 300w heaters. The tank actually has a wet dry trickle filter but with the filter in place there's no space for the hose of the fluval, and on its own it won't be enough for cichlids). I could buy an additional (poss smaller, but still external canister) filter to run at the other end... Thoughts on this guys?

Black background on tank. Should have painted it, I know. But i did kinda boss the installation of it, to the point I had muscle pain in my actual thumb for days afterwards because I was applying so much pressure as I scraped it on with the paste. Time will tell, ha.

Using a combination of cichlid aragonite and playsand.

Is it still all about the fish less cycling round these parts? I've heard all arguments, let's hear some more!

Looking forward to getting started, nearly ready to set up and add water...

Question for Brits - any recommendations on good breeders to get your fish from? No way am I buying from any of the LFCs round here!

Harry

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Welcome to the forum and back to the hobby. Nice tank. Great rock work you've got planned. I'd stick with the fluval 406. I like them alot. Fishless is still fine. Fish-in is also very acceptable with good tank husbandry.

Good luck and ask away. There are lots of wise people willing to answer all questions.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Welcome!

Looks like you have everything figured out.

Few things:

1. 2 x 300w heaters seems like overkill to me. Unless your home is really super cold I don't see the need to run both at one time.

2. Fish in cycling is perfectly acceptable, many like myself are just lazy and would rather do Fishless instead of all those water changes.

3. P.S. My mother always uses the term "nooks and crannies" ;)

Caleb

Hehe, I guess it's an old term, and you guys used to be English too so hey... Ha. This year thanksgiving falls on my birthday, so I feel I have right to poke fun ;)

Ok, cool re the filter. Makes sense to me and leaves me loads of space for stuff. The reason for 2 heaters is to have one set slightly lower than the other as a fail safe... If I notice the "on" heater changes it prob means there's a problem with the other one. And they're only £15, so it's kind of a no brainer.

Nice on the cycling, I don't mind the water changes too much I'm currently single and a project will keep me out of trouble ??

Thanks for the advice!

Ha, I still use nooks and crannies! but have been around for awhile.

Great idea with the rocks. Looks like you have an acrylic tank, so my concern is moot, But I've always wondered for us users of glass tanks, if a particular rock was too big for the glass bottom.

Welcome to the forum.
Kevin

Hey Kevin;

Thanks... Tank is actually glass, so I've purchased some thin but incredibly sturdy acrylic sheeting from a craft supplier that I'm going to secure the larger ones to (with a generous helping of aquarium silicone). Sand then going down / over and around. Was a bit worried about the weight of all that granite, it's pretty heavy stuff!

Harry

Good luck, and welcome !!!
You seem to have a handle on fishkeeping , I was out of the hobby for a long time and its great to be back in it !!![emoji6]

Cheer's mate,

Clem

Back
Top Bottom