Nimbochromis Fuscotaeniatus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquaman1978

Aquarium Advice Freak
Does anyone have much experience with this cichlid. I have two in a 55 gallon tank with a bottom feeder. There are two big double filters on the tank and parameters are all good. These two fish are very cool looking, but don't like each other. They may both be males. They both change colors quite often. From the dark color to a very cool blue and silver look almost instantly. Anybody else have these cichlids. I know that they will get huge, and I plan to sell them when they get bigger so please don't bash me for them being in a smaller tank please:)

Oh yeah some pics might be nice.

Attachments

• image-3231374247.jpg
    image-3231374247.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 115
  • image-3270016742.jpg
    image-3270016742.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 114
  • image-3529575582.jpg
    image-3529575582.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 95
  • image-984414566.jpg
    image-984414566.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 106
I have never seen the one in the second pic. The first one looks like a Texan but it look a bit colorful for one and I have never heard of a Texas cichlid turning colors.

They are both the same fish. They both change of one color to the other. That's why I was curious to talk with other owners. To see what their experiences are.

Great fish, probably one of my favorite haps. They grow pretty large (12") and are very active ambush predator. Like all Nimbochromis they are extremely aggressive towards conspecifics, so it's no surprise they don't care for each others company.

It's a shame you didn't plan it better to where you could keep them in the long run.

Well I have a 180 gallon tank I am working on getting set up. So could put them in there but yeah bad planning on my part. They a
We're v
Cool looking at my lfs and my wife wanted them. So we bought, after I got home did my research and learned how big they get. They are fighting again. Right now as a matter of fact.

Sounds like its time to start googling on the smart phone in the LFS! A 180 gallon mixed predatory hap tank would be pretty cool.

Yeah a dumb decision in my part. But my lfs said when ever I get ready I can trade them in. I am wanting to make my 180 a mbuna hap and peacock tank.

Yeah a dumb decision in my part. But my lfs said when ever I get ready I can trade them in. I am wanting to make my 180 a mbuna hap and peacock tank.

I would do Centrals in a 180 but that's just me!

Personally I were to go back to Africans I'd do an all Hap tank. there's So many cool fish with different body shapes and color patterns. Mbuna and Peacocks just tend to look generic after awhile to me.

IMO there isn't a better tank than that, but I'm an african kinda guy. I have a mixed 125 and i try to stick to fish that stay under 6". I always feel like a loser googling things in he lfs. Might as well use the resources in my pocket though

My problem was my wife really liked them. The old saying goes " happy wife, happy life." Next time I will do my best to not make a dumb choice again. Will mbuna haps and peacocks do ok together?

IMO typically yes. Especially in a large tank. Some people have problems because of individual personalities but others have no problems like myslef

Yes and no, you'd have have to select your species carefully so that you have complementary size and aggression scales.

I personally wouldn't attempt it, but that's just me I have pretty strict self imposed set of stocking rules.

Back
Top Bottom