Nitrate levels & filtration.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

peacockkeeper

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I have had my main tank set up for about 4 months now it's a 75g peacock/hap tank with 11 fish biggest is about 4" and smallest 2" with a mix in between. Currently running an aquaclear 110 for filtration (500 gph) My question is will more filtration help keep my nitrate levels down. I currently do weekly water changes ranging from 30%-50%. By the end of the week my nitrates are always around 40ppm. While not overly high I would like to get that # down to about 20ppm. Would adding another AC 110 or AC 70 make a significant difference or should I just keep doing my weekly WC and not worry about more filtration?

All other levels are always perfect
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Ph 8.2

Also I cleaned my filter for the first time in a few months today will this help?

The biological part of your filter and somewhat ur substrate turns fish waste to ammonia then to nitrite than nitrate. Some nitrate is used by your plants but most must be removed by wc's.

There are some filters that remove them through a chemical process i know fluval makes such a system.

I suggest adding another AC110 or a canister to a 75 gallon cichlid setup. You can stagger cleaning of each, and keep up with your weekly PWC. Nitrates of 40 are not too bad, but will increase as they grow or you add more.

More filtration would be good on your tank as said. Increase your water changes to twice a week. Your fish will love it. Filtration is there only to keep your fish alive between water changes by breaking more harmful toxins (ammonia, then to nitrites) to a less harmful toxin nitrates. You can get stuff to absorb the nitrates but nothing replaces water changes, which is the best way to get rid of nitrates.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

Your filtration doesn't help with lowering Nitrates, your NO3 is caused by overfeeding or being overstocked (NO3 is basically converted Ammonia, which as you know Ammonia is from your fish waste). There are some products and filter media out there you can put into your tank to help lower the nitrates, but weekly 50-75% water changes should be enough TBH. Maybe cut back on the feeding a bit and also check your tap NO3. Also, a bottle of Prime helps with the NO3 a bit incase you're using a different brand of dechlorinator. Lastly, check to see if you have any waste build-up under a rock or decor. I have my circulation pushing 90% of the waste into one corner, so before every feed I just take 1 minute out of my time to use a turkey baster to suck up all that waste.

Your filtration doesn't help with lowering Nitrates, your NO3 is caused by overfeeding or being overstocked (NO3 is basically converted Ammonia, which as you know Ammonia is from your fish waste). There are some products and filter media out there you can put into your tank to help lower the nitrates, but weekly 50-75% water changes should be enough TBH. Maybe cut back on the feeding a bit and also check your tap NO3. Also, a bottle of Prime helps with the NO3 a bit incase you're using a different brand of dechlorinator. Lastly, check to see if you have any waste build-up under a rock or decor. I have my circulation pushing 90% of the waste into one corner, so before every feed I just take 1 minute out of my time to use a turkey baster to suck up all that waste.

Thanks sonic. I'm pretty sure I knew that about the nitrates from when I was doing my research on setting up my tanks but it has been a while guess I forgot. After thinking about it I agree that it may be fish waste stuck in,under, and around decor. I try my best to get it all when vacuuming but I think I miss quite a bit under rocks and in caves. My filter does a nice job of keeping the open areas clear but my suction can't get into the caves and into a lot of the rocks. I have been meaning to pick up a turkey baster for some time now just keep forgetting. Think I might hit the store today though. Oh and my tap water comes out at between 5-10 ppm. Thanks for the help guys.

Don't forget that fish create ammonia by breathing and pee as well so it's not just poo and uneaten food waste that contribute to the bioload

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

To answer your question. More filtration does not keep your nitrates down, but it can help in other areas. I have my tank extra extra filtered.
There are some filter media that reduce Nitrates. I have personally used Nitrazorb, biochem-zorb, and Purigen.

These work great, but do not replace water changes. For example in my 30g tank with Biochem zorb I would do a 25-50% change (depending on feeding) twice a week. After adding Purigen. I need to do a water change once a week-every 10 days or so.

It definitely helps, but doesn't replace the need for water changes. One way to limit waste, and in turn nitrates is reduce the amount of food you put in.

80ppm is TERRIBLE. Watch out for diseases. I try to keep mine below 10ppm, 20ppm is acceptable, 40ppm is pushing it.

Hope this helps.

PS another way to keep nitrates from climbing so fast is less fish. But if your like me, that's not a real option. Fully stocked and loaded baby.

I forgot to mention also, some live plants absorb nitrates. As well as a algae scrubber/algae box.

But IMO that's just one more thing to worry about.

PS another way to keep nitrates from climbing so fast is less fish. But if your like me, that's not a real option. Fully stocked and loaded baby.

I forgot to mention also, some live plants absorb nitrates. As well as a algae scrubber/algae box.

But IMO that's just one more thing to worry about.

Less fish is definitely not an option I'm actually looking for more. I have 11 right now in my show tank since I switched to an all peacock and hap tank. My nitrates aren't out of control or anything after a large wc they drop to between 10-20ppm they only get as high as 40ppm right before a weekly wc. I try to do them every 5 or 6 days though I just don't always have the time to do it twice weekly I'm up to 5 tanks so it takes a while. I need to get a better/faster syphon so I can shave some time off my wc's.

Less fish is definitely not an option I'm actually looking for more. I have 11 right now in my show tank since I switched to an all peacock and hap tank. My nitrates aren't out of control or anything after a large wc they drop to between 10-20ppm they only get as high as 40ppm right before a weekly wc. I try to do them every 5 or 6 days though I just don't always have the time to do it twice weekly I'm up to 5 tanks so it takes a while. I need to get a better/faster syphon so I can shave some time off my wc's.

I have 4 tanks so I know the feeling. Add some Purigen, that will give you more time. I do my maintenance every Sunday.

I might give the Purigen a try I just hate messing with my water if I don't have too but I'll take a look next time I hit the lfs. I usually do all my wc's on Sundays as well I occasionally slip in an extra one during the week if I'm not too tired from work. If I could get it down to an hour for all my tanks I would probably to it twice a week every week.

Purigen is easy. You need to get a 180 micron filter bag to put it in. (Not sure if you do with a canister filter, not too familiar) rinse it off, put it in the filter. It last for days and you can recharge it too. It also will handle any excess nitrites and ammonia as well.

Is recommend getting extra so you can have it on hand while recharging an old bag. But really easy stuff to use.

Back
Top Bottom