Nitrate problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Doobiedoo12

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've had cichlids for al most 2 years now. I have 9 of them when they were no bigger than my pinky nail. Now their about 4 inches long. I do 2 week water changes and 3 month filter cleaning. I haven't had a single amonia or nitrite problem since I have had them but now it seems I am having a nitrate problem. I bought 2 anubias plants and a Java moss ball and an awesome looking tall grass like plant that they don't eat.

Keeping up with my water changes I find my nitrate tests in just a months time is through the roof. I feed them once a day and they eat for 15 seconds than I stop. I put the food in the tank in pinches making sure no food hit the bottom and it's eaten.

What can I do about my nitrate building up so fast? Do I need more plants to help? If so how many. What else might help? I love my fish and I don't want them to get sick. Please help!

I have a 90 gallon tank with a eheim filter for a 120 gallon tank.

Test your tap water for nitrates but it sounds like weekly water changes is the remedy. You'll get better growth rate and healthier fish as a benefit.

Concur wit HUKIT. Bigger fish->more waste->more water changes. Plants will help, but don't depend on that.

How much should I remove weekly? I was doing 20% every two weeks. Should I continue 20% weekly or move it more? Also I find it hard to clean the tank because of the rocks and logs being hard to move and get under. I'm always afraid I'm going to hurt my fish moving a rock. Any tips?

Most will say in general 50% weekly. This will cut the nitrate number in half.

How much should I remove weekly? I was doing 20% every two weeks. Should I continue 20% weekly or move it more? Also I find it hard to clean the tank because of the rocks and logs being hard to move and get under. I'm always afraid I'm going to hurt my fish moving a rock. Any tips?

There is a balance between water changes and nitrates and only you would know how to maintain the nitrates lower by the amount of water changes you do... Hope that made sense.
In other words, you might have to do more water changes than the current 20% you do.

I don't know what cichlids you have, from experience, African cichlids seem to tolerate a bit higher nitrates. I don't even check my levels and my Africans are thriving but I am consistent with my water changes.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Any updates on your tank?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

It's become a pain in the butt but water changes seem keep it down. Such high amounts though and so time consuming

I think your bigger issue is only cleaning the filter once every three months... I have an overstocked tank and i do weekly 50% water changes and clean the filter every other week. Even after a week it gets pretty filthy.

I bet you'd be ok with biweekly 50% water changes if you cleaned the filter biweekly or even monthly.

I'm a fan of purigen as well, might be worth adding to your filter.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Sorry. I just thought a sump could help with high nitrates.

I also just ordered some purigen. My trates are too high. I can't do a sump yet.

Oh yes. I like to use a fuge or an algae scrubber

Personally, I do aquaponics using a HOB on my SA cichlid tank

I have 9 African cichlids, plus a big massive one water changes is done 1 a month...

Sent from my SM-G530T1 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom