Nitrate test help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cichlid_tank619

Aquarium Advice Freak
I used a nitrate test and ammonia test after a 50% PWC and cleaning my canister media. I did the PWC about five hours ago and the canister about two hours ago. Here is what the tubs look like after testing. I was wondering if I need to change more water or are the levels ok? Pictures below.

Attachments

• image-2537779687.jpg
    image-2537779687.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 80
  • image-948288580.jpg
    image-948288580.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 77
when doing a comparison with the chart, the chart should be behind the vial, and not touching it.

rocksor said:
when doing a comparison with the chart, the chart should be behind the vial, and not touching it.

Yeah that's what I was thinking. So it's not the color in the light. What is an appropriate level of nitrates?

I strive for less than 20ppm. When the readings hit 20ppm, I do a 50% water change, which generally happens every 5 days or so for me since my tap water has 5ppm nitrates.

rocksor said:
I strive for less than 20ppm. When the readings hit 20ppm, I do a 50% water change, which generally happens every 5 days or so for me since my tap water has 5ppm nitrates.

Yeah I'm over the test.. I did the water change and cleaned the canister yesterday. Water "looks" crystal clear. Fish are happy and never have health issues. This is the test as of this morning. Any other tips to get the level lower? Any media that might help? I do water changes 2xweek 20 gallons at a time.

Attachments

• image-762260464.jpg
    image-762260464.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 55
rocksor said:

Just test my tap water. Looks between 5-10ppm. Could that be offsetting the tank levels. Tap water below.

Attachments

• image-713207947.jpg
    image-713207947.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 51
You want the test to be orange. Looks like you will need two 75% water changes, one today and one tomorrow, since it looks like you are at 80ppm.

I wouldn't waste my money on any media to reduce nitrates. The only exception are for those people who have nitrates at 20ppm or above with their tap water.

Back
Top Bottom