Nitrates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MandolinSuperstar

Aquarium Advice Newbie
hi all. i have a 75 gallon tank with an AC 110 HOF which has been setup for 14 months (and no problems that werent self inflicted and none in last 5 months). i aquired a test kit yesterday and tested for the first time in about 12 months. ph = 7.8, amm. = 0, nitrite = 0, nitrate = 0 (maybe 5, hard to read color but looked closer to 0 to me). now i have been doing 40% weekly water changes (last done 5 days ago), and i only have ~9 inches of fish in the tank (5 fish). my plan is to fully stock the tank soon, but im concerned i cant get a nitrate reading. should i be worried that my tank isnt properly cycled? other items that might be useful information: i dont clean hof beyond slushing the mechanical filtration in a bucket of aquarium water once a month, i gravel vac my water changes, and my heater broke (replaced yesterday) and water was 10 degrees colder than my target at time of test. also i ran these tests twice to be sure. thanks in advance,

What brand test kit did you get? A 75g tank with 9" of fish for 12 months and doing 40% weekly PWCs is very lightly stocked, so it doesn't surprise me that you have only 5ppm Nitrate. The biological capacity of the filter will synch with the bio-load of the tank. When you add more fish, there will be a small mini-cycle while the bio-colony adjusts to additional load, but since your filter is established it will likely be undetectable, as long as you add the fish slowly. I would suggest adding a few fish at a time and give the tank time to balance out without throwing the levels off. This also would be a good time to develop a stocking list, putting in the least territorial/aggressive fishes in first (if that's even an issue)

thanks. thats what i was hoping for. the test kit is the api master kit. i am nearly done doing a fishless cycle on a new 20g tank. i plan had planned on moving out my current fish (-9in), increasing ph, then fully stocking with ~15 juvinile malawi cichlids all at once. i assume if i monitor water quality and maybe throw in a couple extra PWC, this will not overwhelm the biology of my tank. fair assumption?

Yes it is. In the case of wanting to stock all at once (smart with africans), you may get a mini-cycle like Floyd mentions. Careful attention to test results and a few extra PWCs will get you and the fish through in no time.

Run the API test again, and make sure that:

#1) you shake the reagent #2 bottle vigorously for at least 30 seconds - there is a precipitate that you must get into solution.

#2) After adding reagent #2, cap (and hold tightly) the vial and shake vigorously for a full 60 seconds

#3) make sure to wait the 5 minutes, no shorter or longer.

The API Nitrate test kit is the only one that really needs to be done a certain way to get consistent results.

thank you for the great advice & responses. Floyd, i did not do step 1 of your post, and will retry the test as soon as i get home.

That would explain a zero reading. I've seen LFS employees skip that step, saying that the bottles get shaken up once or twice a day anyways. You need to do it every time. Post your results, I'd be interested to see the difference.

my nitrate is now ~20. kinda feel dumb now that i read the instructions (i guess they only put half the instructions on the bottle?). thank you Floyd, im quite sure i wouldnt have thought of that on my own. i definately feel better knowing my bugs are doing something!

Good information on the Nitrate test. I didn't know about those "minor" details either.
I'm so glad I joined AA. I Literally learn something new and helpful every day.
I spend part of every day reading new things on the forum.

Back
Top Bottom