Nitrates in tap water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AlmonyMatt

Aquarium Advice Activist
I keep having issues with my nitrates being 40ppm plus. I tested my tap water and its at 40ppm plus. My ph:8.2 Ammonia:0ppm Nitrites:0.25ppm Nitrates: 40-60 Pam sometimes higher by the end of a week.

My question is how can I combat this issue without spending tons of money?

Sent from my LG-V410 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You could try some floating plants like Hornwort or Duckweed but the best option is RO water. You could use half RO and half tap as that would get you to around 20ppm which is still to high.

I say 20ppm is the highest I'd ever let one of my tanks get to, high levels of nitrates can have all sorts of effects of long term exposure leading to death. Some examples include:

It decreases the o2 levels in the aquarium.
It decreases the ablility for reproduction.
It decreases the antibody production which help fight disease.
It causes long term damage to spleen, liver, and kidneys.
It causes lower red blood cells which regulates health such as clotting.
It leads to damage of eyes causing blindness.
It leads to death, the worst thing on the list!

I could go on and on but I'll stop there since I'm sure most people get the point. These things start to effect fish at levels of 60ppm, at levels in excess of 200ppm can lead to death within a few weeks.

Where are you located? The EPA has a law that nitrates can't be higher than 10ppm, if mine where that high I'd be more concerned about my family than my fish.

Basic Information about Nitrate in Drinking Water | Basic Information about Regulated Drinking Water Contaminants | US EPA

I'd be more concerned about the humans in your home than the fish. The EPA limit for nitrates in drinking water is 10 ppm.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Your Tap Water

I keep having issues with my nitrates being 40ppm plus. I tested my tap water and its at 40ppm plus. My ph:8.2 Ammonia:0ppm Nitrites:0.25ppm Nitrates: 40-60 Pam sometimes higher by the end of a week.

My question is how can I combat this issue without spending tons of money?

Sent from my LG-V410 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hello Matt...

Adding floating plants will help. Hornwort, Anacharis and Pennywort are good ones. They'll use some of the nitrates. Acurel has a good nitrate removing poly fiber padding that you cut to fit and goes into your filter system. It will help too. Use these suggestions and remove half the tank water and replace it with pure, treated tap water, every week. No slacking. Don't fret over the water chemistry.

B

Uh, yes, you need to fret over the water chemistry when your TAP water has 40 ppm nitrate. That's unhealthy for *humans* and, especially children. As for the fish, aquarium plants aren't going to put a dent in that.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

use RO water, but remember you will need to add buffers to the water to correct the PH, KH and GH

Back
Top Bottom