Nitrite

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi,
It sounds to me like neither tank is cycled. I would advise moving all the fish to the 20g (if you haven't already) with all the filter media from the 10g and continue the cycle from there. A 20g holds more water. More water means it takes longer for the ammonia and nitrite to build to dangerous levels. Better for your fish. :)
Can you please read this:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/artic...g-but-I-already-have-fish-What-now/Page2.html
Daily water changes and testing will need to be done to keep your fish safe. Each time ammonia or nitrite is .25ppm or above you need to do a water change (or 2 or 3) to bring it down.
Any questions don't be afraid to ask!

Jmedic25 said:
Dont sweat it...Heres a few things you can do...First, start working your way to a larger tank. Cichlids like you have really need a 55 or larger. I wish I would have told you that before you bought the 20. BUT with cichlids you will have fry so you will need multiple tanks. Second..Water changes will not have a huge impact on your cycle. A small amount of good bacteria is in the water column but not enough to matter. Good job on getting the test kit. What you want is 0 ammo 0 nitrites and slowly climbing nitrates...i keep mine under 40. Since you are mid cycle you will not have these numbers. So keep your ammo .25 or lower and detox with prime ONLY!!!! test every day. To speed things along you need to seed your new filter. You can do this by using old filters in your new filter. Or putting a nylon full of old gravel or media in your new filter or tank. The more old filter media you can get the better. You can get find someone who you know has a good piece of healthy disease free media ask them for it. You can really shorten your cycle by seeding. Also increase oxygen by adding an airstone. Dont worry about rude people here...They dont last. If you have anymore questions ask...There are plenty of people on here who will help you and not try and make you feel stupid. Welcome to the hobby!!! AND love your fish! Oh yeah dont add anything to your tank like ammo chips or bacteria starter...It will only set you up for a tank crash later...

THANK YOU!!! That's much better.... I only went to a 20 bc it's all I can afford right now :-/ my friend is supposed to come get 2 of my fish bc she has the space for them ... And I love my fish too :) they excite me and I'm trying to do right for them... And if I have any questions I'll make sure to ask u first.. Thanks again for the support that's what I needed and was reaching out for

Mumma.of.two said:
Hi,
It sounds to me like neither tank is cycled. I would advise moving all the fish to the 20g (if you haven't already) with all the filter media from the 10g and continue the cycle from there. A 20g holds more water. More water means it takes longer for the ammonia and nitrite to build to dangerous levels. Better for your fish. :)
Can you please read this:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/articles/articles/124/2/-I-just-learned-about-cycling-but-I-already-have-fish-What-now/Page2.html
Daily water changes and testing will need to be done to keep your fish safe. Each time ammonia or nitrite is .25ppm or above you need to do a water change (or 2 or 3) to bring it down.
Any questions don't be afraid to ask!

Thank you for the info :) very much appreciated :)

THANK YOU!!! That's much better.... I only went to a 20 bc it's all I can afford right now :-/ my friend is supposed to come get 2 of my fish bc she has the space for them ... And I love my fish too :) they excite me and I'm trying to do right for them... And if I have any questions I'll make sure to ask u first.. Thanks again for the support that's what I needed and was reaching out for

Always try craigslist...You can get nice tanks for super cheap..Since your fish are small a 20 is ok. Once you get the bug you will save for the bigger tank your fish require..Just keep up on the water changes and you will be fine...And get some prime..its cheap and treats a ton of water

Jmedic25 said:
Always try craigslist...You can get nice tanks for super cheap..Since your fish are small a 20 is ok. Once you get the bug you will save for the bigger tank your fish require..Just keep up on the water changes and you will be fine...And get some prime..its cheap and treats a ton of water

I bought a 55 gallon 2 1/2 weeks ago on craigslist cheap and have it cyclin for SW .... Since I've had my fish only 2 have gotten a Lil bigger ... I do plan on saving to get a bigger one for them... I do have prime already and added it to the tank when I added my water yesterday

Wasn't trying to be rude! Didn't mean to come across like that, you just made it sound like you knew absolutely nothing about fish, but went ahead and bought them. Was just giving advice on where to find info too, as it's way too much to type explaining a fish-in cycle lol Although I will say, if you've had a goldfish for 5 years, you should know nitrites/ammonia should always be 0! Goodluck

The only test I had for my gold fish were the fish strips not the kits... And actually I didn't do my research for them either or cycled my tanks for them... Just set it up added fish hours later and lived for 5 years... Yes it came off rude saying I was irresponsible ... I'm very responsible person... I'm trying do right now after did y research and do what's best for them now... Will I ever buy another fish without doing research on them before hand? NO!! I have learned my lesson...

Back
Top Bottom