Nls

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

garfy

Aquarium Advice Addict
Which nls do I want for my Africans.I can only seem to find it on eBay here in the uk and there a several different types.Which one do I need?

I feed NLS cichlid, Thera A and Medium fish formula.

I rotate foods, every few days. The Thera A has garlic in it and the fish need a certain dose for it to boost their immune system. So I make sure I feed it for a week in the rotation.

Garlic doesn't boost their immune system, it actively kills some parasites.

Just go with one. NLS has three main formulas, Regular, Grow, and Thera+A. They all have garlic. The Thera+A has enough garlic to kill some parasites. The Regular is their standard and is the same as the cichlid, discus, goldfish, community, etc. The Grow has more protein and fat for growing fish, more than adult fish should get all the time.

I usually feed the Thera+A, but the regular (or cichlid if you just have to have a picture of a cichlid on your food) is fine. While still adding fish it may be better to stick with the Thera+A since at this point you are more likely to run into parasite problems.

http://www.scielo.br/pdf/jvatitd/v12n2/v12n2a03.pdf

"The present study revealed that administration of garlic or antibiotic induced significant increases in all blood parameters (erythrocyte count, hemoglobin content, and hematocrit value) in treated fish, which agrees with the results of Martins et al. (47), who verified that addition of Allium sativum to fish diets increased erythrocytes number, hemoglobin content, hematocrit value, leucocytes, and thrombocytes. Allium sativum has some constituents that may play a role in the immune system stimulation and in the function of organs related to blood cell formation such as thymus, spleen, and bone marrow (37)."

It's off topic but a good read. Garlic is also used in fish food to improve palatability.

Last edited:
Garlic definitely kills parasites. Here are the references I used for the article I wrote that was published in Aquarium Fish International Magazine this April:

Ankri, S., and D. Mirelman. 2001. “Antimicrobial properties of allicin from garlic.” Microbes and Infection 2:125-129

Boxaspen, K., and J.C. Holm. 1992. “New biocides used against sea lice compared to organo-phosphorous compounds.” European Aquaculture Society

Coppi, A., M. Cabinian, D. Mirelman, and P. Sinnis. 2006. “Antimalarial Activity of Allicin, a Biologically Active Compound from Garlic Cloves.” Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy 5:1731-1737

D.L.N. 1998. “Allicin, one of the active principles of garlic, inhibits the growth of protozoan parasites.” Chemtech 4:45

Holden, C. 1997. “Fighting Parasites With Garlic.” Science. 5338:581

Soko, C. K., and D.E. Barker. 2004. “Efficacy of crushed garlic and lemon juice as bio-product treatments for Ichthyophthirius multifiliis (‘ich’) infections among juvenile Nile tilapia, Oreochromis niloticus.” Aquaculture Association of Canada 9:108-110

There is no debate. People are sharing facts, helping to inform everyone.

Back
Top Bottom