NLS Pellets, mess in your tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Convict2161

Aquarium Advice Addict
Some of know I have BAD OCD and I've been feeding my crew NLS Thera A for a while. It seems to be making a HUGE mess after feeding. Anyone else notice this or am I just waaaay too anal with my tanks. Water will be crystal clear and after feeding this.

View attachment 76862

View attachment 76863

View attachment 76864

You can see all the fine particles in the water. It drives me CRAZY! A friend told me its because there so concentrated and that flakes would be less messy.

Last edited:
You may be overfeeding? Also you might try and put some nylon pillow stuffing in your filter. It filters out the really fine particles. If it settles after a while tho I wouldnt bother. I get really fine particles also. I think some of them are micro bubbles. Some people also have a bubble trap to minimize microbubbles

Jmedic25 said:
You may be overfeeding? Also you might try and put some nylon pillow stuffing in your filter. It filters out the really fine particles. If it settles after a while tho I wouldnt bother. I get really fine particles also. I think some of them are micro bubbles. Some people also have a bubble trap to minimize microbubbles

Thanks brother it's my OCD. And you mean like filter floss? Also yes really fine particles. just like the pic.

Also over feeding could very well be a possibility. I'm gonna cut it down and see what happens.

Filter floss I used in the beginning but because it got mucked up fast and I have a canister it became more trouble then it was worth.

Last edited:
I feed the same but no mess here. Maybe just cut back a bit. Does much food get to the bottom when you feed?

I feed omega one pellets and tetra 'crisps' to all my fish. The mbuna tanks stay clear but my frontosas are messy eaters!!!
I think it might depend on the fish. Maybe cut back a little and see if that helps. It could be that you have messy eaters.

Not much ever makes to the bottom with these guys lol. They won't let that happen. I didn't think I feed too much. A few pinches of the pellets and I watch to see if anyone is left out. I'll cut back and see what happens and like I said, I REALLY BAD OCD so... To you the pictures may be ok... To me it's not :(

I don't see them spitting the food out but is it possible that they shoot some out of the gills?

It's because as cichlids eat they sift it through their gills. You can try cutting back but I've always had this happen to my tanks.

Convict2161 said:
Not much ever makes to the bottom with these guys lol. They won't let that happen. I didn't think I feed too much. A few pinches of the pellets and I watch to see if anyone is left out. I'll cut back and see what happens and like I said, I REALLY BAD OCD so... To you the pictures may be ok... To me it's not :(

I don't see them spitting the food out but is it possible that they shoot some out of the gills?

My frontosas pass it through their gills.

I don't think it's something that can be helped, but maybe!

Malawi Freak said:
It's because as cichlids eat they sift it through their gills. You can try cutting back but I've always had this happen to my tanks.

Well it's good to hear I'm not alone lol. I don't feel as bad now.

I recently started using NLS CICHLID and there are less food particles floating around then my old crappy tetra cichlid food.
But still they are there in a noticeable amount mine also make sure nothing goes to waste lol even when something hits the ground its eaten within 1 min.

I also let my pellets suck up water first so they dont swell in there belly.
And when i dont do that they chew on them and after a while food comes out there gills.

They are just piggs lol.

What size pellets are you feeding convict? I got a sample of the 1mm ones and I've been feeding them to my geos.. I haven't noticed any particles being released. They gobble them up quickly and haven't noticed any going to waste.

Tetra crisps and flakes get sifted through their gills and makes quite a mess though.

meegosh said:
What size pellets are you feeding convict? I got a sample of the 1mm ones and I've been feeding them to my geos.. I haven't noticed any particles being released. They gobble them up quickly and haven't noticed any going to waste.

Tetra crisps and flakes get sifted through their gills and makes quite a mess though.

Feeding them small pellets ATM, the large are to big right now. I tried feeding them the large and some struggled carrying it around and spitting out and catching it again. So I went back to the tiny ones.

Back
Top Bottom