No ordinary JD

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hutch

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just bought what they described to me as a Jack Dempsey at the LFS.. but im pretty sure it isn't or at least not completely

It is much lighter than most that ive seen with huge variations in its color that can change almost instantly... it is semi aggressive with my Pictus Cat (but alittle smaller thankfully, i do worry a bit a night when the pictus can't see JD lerking in the dark)

And I believe it is alittle less broad than most..

Any ideas I have a pic I found online that is close to it but mine is even lighter

I have seen a Dempsy looking fish called a Trimac before. It is a cichlid and I think n large extra aggresive one.
My mental file cabinent is out of order....but seem to remember them being like monsters that kill every other occupant in a tank smaller than 75....
most they eat.

Thanks for teh post

Hmm that is possible... My JD seems less agressive than I would have thought but maybe thats because he is new... Im gonna try and buy a medium (full grown) cichilid to take some of the beating from the JD... probably a blue acara if I can get one

but I think my Pictus should be okay... as long as JD doesn't get one of his fins or whiskers

I like your quote... Im still justa beginner... but man they give bad advice...

They told me that the JD would probably get picked on by the Pictus... right...

Adding the blue acara may take the beatings from the pictus, but what does that say for the Acara?? One, if not both fish may end up dead in the tank with the JD, or whatever it is.

Christmas, I've never heard of a "trimac" but that fish you posted looks just like a flower horn. As for hutches question. Yes its most likely a JD. Young JDs can have a lighter color. As he grows and gets used to a new tank he'll eventually get darker. The small tank size could also be causing the paleness.

Here's a pic from when I brought my little dempsey home, now he's much larger and darker than in the pic.

that doesnt look like a dempsky. it looks like a opaline gourami except without the feelers and the snouts sharper. arent dempskys like those red and blackish fish?

i correct myself. i was thinking about anotehr fish. i dont really know cichlids.

Unless you're asking a question.. =)

Most cichlids can and will change color based on mood, age, and health (and sometimes sex too).

Hypostomus said:
Unless you're asking a question.. =)
Good call.

I haven't met a cichlid yet that didn't change colors! I have a 2" Mbuna that was pure black when I bought it and I started calling it Blackey since I don't know the scientific name. Now the little bugger is a beautiful blue or sometimes blue with very pronounced stripes. Only if I catch him sleeping is he black anymore :roll:

Hutch... It would help if you posted a pic.

Also what other cichlids does that lfs/retail source sell? That can narrow down possibilities. You should peek into a cichlid site and cruise member photos to see if you can spot it.
Changing colors make it sound like a jewel, smaller and lighter/thinner makes it sound like a severum. I see those all the time. I am not familiar enough with cichlids so can only offer what I have seen that MAY match ^_^ (I also still refer animals to the name I first saw them under, despite current common names. Some have even been reclassified)

PS: Endgame..the Trimac I found in partial search on fishbase and one google hit. Common names according to them are the Red Eye Cichlid and Three Spot Cichlid.
They look really Dempsyish when young, but lose the pretty highlights when they are big monsters. The red eyes would be a give away, though..

In the end it is probably just an odd looking Depmpsy.... :roll: :wink:

Back
Top Bottom