Noah's arc

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jmats

Aquarium Advice Freak
Can anyone tell me FROM EXPERIENCE what happens if you mix too many mbuna species in one tank?

I know I have a lot of species in my tank, definitely more than recommended, and I am going to get rid of some soon. I just can't figure out which to rid of because I like all of my fish. They all seem to get along just fine though which is why I am curious if anyone has done this successfully.

How many species are recommended for a 75 community?

Also, kind of random, can anyone tell me about a hongi?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

They grow up get aggressive and kill each other off and/or suffer from poor water quality.

In a 75 gallon tank how many species of mbuna would you recommend?

I am picking up this guy today ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424967134.362068.jpg so I'm thinking on getting rid of the excess fish today while I'm at it..

I currently own
3 kenyi - 2 female one male
1 Snow White zebra
2 auratus -1 fem 1 male
4 ice blue red top
1 blue zebra
2 electric blue johannis
2 yellow labs
2 acei
1 red jewel
2 afras

I really like the afras and the zebras and I would like to hold onto them. The reason I am asking about the hongi is because I would like to know which fish would get along best with him

Honestly if your not over stocked I dont see how It can't work. Mbuna are mbuna and you may lose a fish or two to aggression. I have a 55 with several different species and there all males and its worked for me for 3 years now. If you want females and breeding in a 75 I would say 3-4 species with 1 male and 3-4 females to each male.

Sent from my HTCONE using Aquarium Advice mobile app

And the red top hongi is a beautiful fish when fully colored up and not to shabby when colored down. I have a single male and he holds his area down and is not overly aggressive

And you'll get poor water quality if you don't maintenance your tank like water changes and vacuuming your substrate.

Okay. I am not interested in breeding at the moment, this is just a tank I have in my tiny living room in my tiny apartment. Thanks for the advice.

Well you could try an all male tank, it'll take some work making sure there male.

If you're not breeding you will need to keep all males. Females will get beaten to death in a mixed breed setup.

You will also need to keep no more than 1 of each type of fish. So you will have to rehome your females as well as one of your acei, yellow lab, blue johanni, and 3 of your ice blue red top.

Mbuna are HIGHLY conspecific aggressive i.e. fish of the same species. They won't be nearly as aggressive towards other species. This is the basis of keeping a tank with males.

Total you should be looking at up to 20ish mbuna.

Back
Top Bottom