Normal jack dempsey?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MatthewM

Aquarium Advice Activist
I got this jack dempsey at my lfs and I was just wondering if its normal for them to have this much blue coloration or if this is odd for them?
ForumRunner_20120423_173339.jpg

It is normal for a jack Dempsey to have that coloration my has that right now :)

Fishie said:
It is normal for a jack Dempsey to have that coloration my has that right now :)

Thanks that's what I was wondering really! I had a EBJD that didn't make it a while back so I was really curious if this was a blue gene dempsey!

MatthewM said:
Thanks that's what I was wondering really! I had a EBJD that didn't make it a while back so I was really curious if this was a blue gene dempsey!

They are very hard to really tell apart. My changes it's colors though every so often.

There is no visual difference between a blue gene or regular Jack Dempsey, they are the same fish with while some carry the blue gene.

That's correct, the blue gene is not a visible trait. Some breeders claim that there's some ways to tell the difference between the two but I have not seen anything conclusive yet.

There's 3 different things being talked about here so I think it's important to clarify.

Regular JD's, which are the standard color.

Blue gene jack dempseys (BGJD), these fish look just like regular JD's but have the electric blue gene, which is recessive. It's not something you can see in them, but it's important when you try to breed them.

Electric Blue JD's (EBJD), these are the ones with the metallic blue coloration. Here's a picture of mine last time I was tank swapping him.

img_1913567_0_2d44d8879649fccb0eca9842c94fbad1.jpg

EBJD's and regular jack dempseys look nothing alike. That said, it looks like you have a nice male JD there.

Last edited:
jetajockey said:
That's correct, the blue gene is not a visible trait. Some breeders claim that there's some ways to tell the difference between the two but I have not seen anything conclusive yet.

There's 3 different things being talked about here so I think it's important to clarify.

Regular JD's, which are the standard color.

Blue gene jack dempseys (BGJD), these fish look just like regular JD's but have the electric blue gene, which is recessive. It's not something you can see in them, but it's important when you try to breed them.

Electric Blue JD's (EBJD), these are the ones with the metallic blue coloration. Here's a picture of mine last time I was tank swapping him.

EBJD's and regular jack dempseys look nothing alike. That said, it looks like you have a nice male JD there.

Thanks and thanks for the info it answered alot! Good looking EBJD there too I had one but he didn't make it past the 3 inch stage!

My jd is blue but also changes colors sometime I guess just depending on his mood

Attachments

• image-2372883508.jpg
    image-2372883508.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 111
  • image-722432522.jpg
    image-722432522.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 116
Flipmikeskater3 said:
My jd is blue but also changes colors sometime I guess just depending on his mood

It dosnt even loom like the same fish in those pics but they were only a couple weeks apart lol

Wow he does look different lol I see you have convicts as tank mates as well!

I have mine in a .125 with a Oscar and 3 cons and they seem happy!

Your jack is beautiful. That is very normal and nice coloration. Here is mine

image-3862092374.jpg

Back
Top Bottom