Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-19-2012, 07:30 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Not a good day

So this morning I woke up and went to feed my fish when I noticed my bumblebee cichlid wasn't at the top with the others, after looking around for a minute I found his body I have no idea what happened, my water parameters are perfect my ph is higher around 8 and all was well for the last month that we had him. I did a water change yesterday and cleaned gravel like usual and all my other fish seem healthy. The only thing I noticed with the bumblebee where some nipped fins a few days ago ( nothing serious and nothing that my other fish don't have sometimes). He usually stuck near the top of the tank and had reddish gills, which I both thought were normal because he had been doing it since we got him, and had seemed healthy for at least a month. I'm actually pretty sad and so is my boyfriend since that was his favourite fish help me figure this out!

Old 03-19-2012, 07:51 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.tetreault
So this morning I woke up and went to feed my fish when I noticed my bumblebee cichlid wasn't at the top with the others, after looking around for a minute I found his body I have no idea what happened, my water parameters are perfect my ph is higher around 8 and all was well for the last month that we had him. I did a water change yesterday and cleaned gravel like usual and all my other fish seem healthy. The only thing I noticed with the bumblebee where some nipped fins a few days ago ( nothing serious and nothing that my other fish don't have sometimes). He usually stuck near the top of the tank and had reddish gills, which I both thought were normal because he had been doing it since we got him, and had seemed healthy for at least a month. I'm actually pretty sad and so is my boyfriend since that was his favourite fish help me figure this out!
Sorry for your loss

You say nipped fins? Maybe he was getting picked on and got stressed? I just lost a fish and everything checked out. I think he just go stressed and at the top of the pecking order.

Sometimes it's survival of the fittest. Although bumblebee's are known to be pretty tough.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:58 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Maybe, but most of my fish go through fin nipping its pretty common in my tank, nothing really serious just a bite or two off a tail fin, it just happened so quickly I usually notice if one fish is being singled out or if it's sick and I didn't notice anything with him
Old 03-19-2012, 07:59 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

He had never been aggressive to any of his tank mates, mostly just kept to himself.
Old 03-19-2012, 08:03 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sometimes these things just happen also

If water conditions are up to par and you can rule out any other issues. I think it just got stressed for whatever reason. No other fish are sick right? I think it's an isolated case. Still sad

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Old 03-19-2012, 08:11 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

All my other fish are healthy and acting normally. I thought when I got him at first that he might of had a parasite or something because of the red gills, but he would have probably died a lot sooner if that were the case and other fish would have shown symptoms. ugh I guess it's just one of those things you can't control. I'll be keeping a close eye on all my other fish for the next week tho, I get so worried when one dies, even if I know I couldn't do anything about it
Old 03-19-2012, 10:48 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Look at joe paterno, stress kills.

Too soon?
Old 03-19-2012, 11:14 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malawi Freak

Too soon?
x10000000000, Yeah really!!

Old 03-19-2012, 01:34 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malawi Freak View Post

Too soon?

lol oh jeez...
Old 03-19-2012, 02:29 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Alyxx Send a message via Skype™ to Alyxx
If he had red gills when you got him, it could have been damage done by bad water before you got him. Ammonia and chlorine can both end up giving a fish red gills, and you can never really know how a fish was kept before you brought it home. Sorry for your loss!

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com