Not a good day

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

a.tetreault

Aquarium Advice Freak
So this morning I woke up and went to feed my fish when I noticed my bumblebee cichlid wasn't at the top with the others, after looking around for a minute I found his body :( I have no idea what happened, my water parameters are perfect my ph is higher around 8 and all was well for the last month that we had him. I did a water change yesterday and cleaned gravel like usual and all my other fish seem healthy. The only thing I noticed with the bumblebee where some nipped fins a few days ago ( nothing serious and nothing that my other fish don't have sometimes). He usually stuck near the top of the tank and had reddish gills, which I both thought were normal because he had been doing it since we got him, and had seemed healthy for at least a month. I'm actually pretty sad and so is my boyfriend since that was his favourite fish :( help me figure this out!

a.tetreault said:
So this morning I woke up and went to feed my fish when I noticed my bumblebee cichlid wasn't at the top with the others, after looking around for a minute I found his body :( I have no idea what happened, my water parameters are perfect my ph is higher around 8 and all was well for the last month that we had him. I did a water change yesterday and cleaned gravel like usual and all my other fish seem healthy. The only thing I noticed with the bumblebee where some nipped fins a few days ago ( nothing serious and nothing that my other fish don't have sometimes). He usually stuck near the top of the tank and had reddish gills, which I both thought were normal because he had been doing it since we got him, and had seemed healthy for at least a month. I'm actually pretty sad and so is my boyfriend since that was his favourite fish :( help me figure this out!

Sorry for your loss :(

You say nipped fins? Maybe he was getting picked on and got stressed? I just lost a fish and everything checked out. I think he just go stressed and at the top of the pecking order.

Sometimes it's survival of the fittest. Although bumblebee's are known to be pretty tough.

Maybe, but most of my fish go through fin nipping its pretty common in my tank, nothing really serious just a bite or two off a tail fin, it just happened so quickly I usually notice if one fish is being singled out or if it's sick and I didn't notice anything with him :(

Sometimes these things just happen also :(

If water conditions are up to par and you can rule out any other issues. I think it just got stressed for whatever reason. No other fish are sick right? I think it's an isolated case. Still sad :(

All my other fish are healthy and acting normally. I thought when I got him at first that he might of had a parasite or something because of the red gills, but he would have probably died a lot sooner if that were the case and other fish would have shown symptoms. :( ugh I guess it's just one of those things you can't control. I'll be keeping a close eye on all my other fish for the next week tho, I get so worried when one dies, even if I know I couldn't do anything about it :(

If he had red gills when you got him, it could have been damage done by bad water before you got him. Ammonia and chlorine can both end up giving a fish red gills, and you can never really know how a fish was kept before you brought it home. Sorry for your loss!

thanks, i guess i will have to just try again, i had actually figured i had gotten lucky because he was so calm with my other fish, i guess he was probably just stressed the whole time.

What Convict said....Just happens some time. Just keep a check on things a little better to make sure its not the start of something. Sorry bout your BB

Thanks, I'll keep a close eye on everything and then I guess it's back to the fish store for me in a few weeks. My boyfriend is determined to have a bumblebee lol

Sorry about your loss. I have a pair of bb's and I'd be devastated if something happened to them. They are my favorites too.

Back
Top Bottom