Not sure if belongs here... Oscar question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AssistedDecoy

Aquarium Advice Regular
Im getting another tank and moving my peacocks into it and im going to but bigger fish in the bigger tank. My question is...

How many Oscars can i put in a 240G tank?

I know people who have several oscars in large tanks, and they often do well together. Typically though, they seem to do better and have less aggression if there are only 2 in a tank, no matter the tank size. Each fish may claim a territory, true, but they'll also spend much of their time cruising the entire tank. They're going to come in frequent contact with each other. If you get all peaceful oscars, this won't be a problem; if you get one aggressive oscar added to the mix, it could be trouble. You can still get aggression with only 2 oscars, but in my experience, if there are 2, they will usually "buddy up" and spend most of their time cruising together.
IMO, put 2 oscars in your tank, and add some other large, SA cichlids for variety.

I have 2 mature Oscars in a 90g other than the occasional lip lock durring feeding they are best friends and very entertaining to watch them destroy the tank together

You could try 4 or more, but I'd be ready to rehome some of them if aggression becomes a problem. AS I said, some people do well with multiple oscars, but normally it seems that 2 is company, three or more is a crowd. Most likely, 2 of your oscars will pair up. A pair could be 2 of the same sex, or a m/f pair. THey don't always pair up for only breeding. Once a pair has formed, they may bully the other oscars in the tank. Or they may not. Oscars are funny fish, with distinctive and individual personalities. All you can do is try, I guess.

So 2 is probably the most? Nothing like 4 or 6?

When I had Oscars I had three young ones in a 55 gallon(way to small) and they grew to be about 4-6 inches and never had a problem with aggression, but after I got rid of two I enjoyed just having the one favorite more. Oscars have so much personality that one fish became like a pet dog to me. Even, if I had a 240 I would pick my favorite and make him the star of the tank. Maybe add pair of Electric Blue Acara and a non common pleco like a Royal or Bristlenose. I've never had a tank that size so forgive me if I'm giving less facts/advice a doing more dreaming of what I would do with an awesome tank like that. I don't see an issue with 4-5 oscars if that's what makes you happy they shouldn't kill each other. But watching a few other large SA fish types grow out in a cool tank like that would be awesome too. Keep us posted whatever you decide.

How big will an Oscar get full grown? What is the smallest tank you would put one in? No one seems to have the same answer for this question.

Full grown they average about a foot in length and the bigger the better but i usually hear that 55 is the absolute minimum but 75 is good for just 1 oscar

Full grown they average about a foot in length and the bigger the better but i usually hear that 55 is the absolute minimum but 75 is good for just 1 oscar

Agreed 55 gallon is a one Oscar tank. I would say add 35 gallons of tank per Oscar added after that roughly.

Back
Top Bottom