Not sure if Hole in head or TB...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bdscholl

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
This is my first post, so hello everyone! I have some concern about some fish I just bought from a local vendor that I have bought from before and had complications. I bought a electric blue jack about 3 month back that had hole in head. He was my first cichlid so I didn't know what to look for and I was told by a coworker what it was and how to treat it. Recently I bought three Africans from the same vendor and one has what looks like HnH but he's not responding to the API General Cure. He also has white discolorment on his side which I just thought might be bites taken from other fish. Anyone's input is appreciated! Thanks!IMG_0853.jpg

this is my first post, so hello everyone! I have some concern about some fish i just bought from a local vendor that i have bought from before and had complications. I bought a electric blue jack about 3 month back that had hole in head. He was my first cichlid so i didn't know what to look for and i was told by a coworker what it was and how to treat it. Recently i bought three africans from the same vendor and one has what looks like hnh but he's not responding to the api general cure. He also has white discolorment on his side which i just thought might be bites taken from other fish. Anyone's input is appreciated! Thanks!

IMG_0855.jpgIMG_0853.jpgIMG_0851.jpgIMG_0843.jpg

HLLE and HITH are not associated in African cichlids. The only thing I'm seeing are sensory pits which are normal. What are you actually seeing?

Looks like scratches to me. My Africans often get light colored blemishes on their sides. due to fighting or fleeing, brushing up against the rocks. The damage could have happened at the LFS. As long as they are eating and acting normally, no worries.

HLLE and HITH are not associated in African cichlids. The only thing I'm seeing are sensory pits which are normal. What are you actually seeing?

That's really good to know! I think I'm just being nervous. He has some small spots where scales are loosing color but he eats just fine and has normal shape. I wasn't aware of sensory pits, I've never seen them on my other fish though. Thank you very much!

Looks like scratches to me. My Africans often get light colored blemishes on their sides. due to fighting or fleeing, brushing up against the rocks. The damage could have happened at the LFS. As long as they are eating and acting normally, no worries.

The borleyi is really skittish. He gets picked on by a 1.5in peacock and he's almost 3in himself. I was also pretty luck to get those pics. I'm hoping he's just weird.

IMG_0873.jpgIMG_0875.jpg

So this is the Borleyi now... he's still alive, barley swimming and yes he's upside down. I also tried treating for a fungus and it didn't help. I don't want to see him like this and I know there's nothing I can do at this point but what should I do about my other fish?

I don't see any signs of a fungus or bacterial infection. That looks like aggression. I'd take a hammer and put the fish down at this point.

Your borleyi was probably just a bad pick from the LFS. If the other fish are acting okay, just keep the tank clean and write this one off.

It passed about an hour after I posted. I took him to the LFS and got a refund. Most the tanks running off that filtration system had a bacterial infection.

And he was getting picked at by the catfish when I woke up

Back
Top Bottom