Novice question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pollex.jaypee

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi, soon I'll have a 75gal tank.48x18x22.
I am planning to set-up a cichlid tank. But really, I have no experience with Cichlid communities.
I know you have to overstock them.
But my questions are:
1. What is the minimum number I could keep them? Saying that each is 4-6 inches.
2. How about the maximum?
3. What filter would you suggest?

Thank you very much :)

1. What is the minimum number I could keep them? Saying that each is 4-6 inches.
2. How about the maximum?
It really depends but if we are talking your basic mbuna I would say somewhere in the ~20 range. Making sure you have the right size groups makes a difference.

3. What filter would you suggest?
I usually put two large canisters on an overstocked 75. Either that or 1 huge filter like an Eheim 2080 or an FX6. That being said, I generally prefer 2 filters so that you can clean that at different times and have a backup in case one fails. I also tend to overfilter.

The biggest factor to consider first wouls be to pick a favorate Type of cichlid. As in african there are 3 rift lakes They come from, south american, central american etc. Then decide wether you are wanting all males or m:f groups depending on the species you decide on.

Filtration If you go with for example mbunas you want around 800+gph
turnover They are messy eaters and you wouls be overstocking due to there aggression.

So...what kind of cichlids do you like? In a 75 you have a pretty good selection to choose from.

Sent from my HTCEVODesign4G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom