Oh no!! Live fish food!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Engel

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just came into the living room to let the fishtank put me to sleep, and I half of a minnow floating in my new cichlid tank! 95 gallon with a huge jack dempsey and a full grown jewel as well.
My hubby must have got them some live fish food, but went to bed with a headache before I got home, and didn't mention it! I've read that is bad bad bad due to disease etc. Will they be ok? Is there anything I can do to mitigate damage? I just relocated the tank here yesterday, and so I added salt as a precautionary already. I guess I should at least get the fish half out.
Awww crud. I just examined the tank and there is another "feeder fish" hiding in a plant. :mad:

Nothing to do but keep the water clean and monitor your fish's health and behavior. I don't believe in treating a ilness in advance, could lead to weakening the fishes immune system.

Feeder fish

If you haven't already, make sure you remove all the feeder fish you find. Also, knock your husband over the head. :clown:
I agree about not treating an illness that hasn't appeared yet. Just keep a very close eye on your fish and let us know if you observe anything.

Agree
Don't treat if not illness is present, sometimes we act by impulse, so just watch, some people use live food with no problems, but I agree that is more risky to the big fish (also I don't like the idea at all ) for decease.

I got ich from feeders, but you can't treat until you know what (if anything) is there.

The feeders will eventually be eaten or die. Whether they get your fish sick depends on the source.

If you're going to feed feeders in the future, I would suggest you set up a qt and keep them there for 3-4 weeks before even thinking about feeding them. You can put a lot of feeders in a 10g tank

Another option would be to setup a tank of your own and breed livebearers as food. The main issue with that is becoming attached to them and wanting to keep them instead. :)

I would just skip the feeder's all together. Fatty liver disease is among the largest cause of death in large south/central americans. Feeding a quality pellet like New Life Spectrum with the addition of veggies,frozen/live worms and insects there is no reason to ever feed live fish.

Here's a great article from Monsterfishkeepers.
http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12521

stay away from live fish, cant go wrong with a good fish pellet. I only feed my fish Spectrum and blood worms as a treat. I would say let the feeders get eaten and not let it happen again.

oh and tell your husband "dont eff with the fish"

Back
Top Bottom