Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-07-2010, 12:08 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

omg im such an idiot

well i have an overstocked tank of malawi cichlids. and i found a really cheap 55g as there new home. all i had to do was cycle it. well after bout 4-5 weeks of cycling and it was almost done. i had it just sitting on floor since it didnt come with a stand and i was building my own. i was cleaning house like usual ( and when i clean i gotta drink beer ) was kinda wasted running the vaccum. wasnt paying attention and hit and broke the tank with it. mess wasnt a problem since i have a carpet cleaner just took bout hour to clean up but now they dont have a new home and they 1. was already over stocked. and 2 they are growing very very fast lol. back to craigslist to find another tank :<

Old 04-07-2010, 12:18 PM   #2
HN1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ouch. Sorry to hear that. Good luck on the tank search!

Old 04-07-2010, 12:25 PM   #3

just to clarify the tank was fishless cycling with shrimp. nothing was harmed cept my carpet and wallet
Old 04-07-2010, 12:53 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Careful with the broken glass. Sorry about your tank.
FLFishFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 01:14 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Ok, I probably shouldn't ask but how in the world did a vacuum break the glass? You must have seriously hit that thing. Sometimes the best lessons learned are from your mistakes and the money it takes you correct them. Bet that mistake will not happen again. Good Luck
Old 04-07-2010, 01:17 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Maybe it is time to go acryllic. The only thing worse then a broken tank is two broken tanks.
FLFishFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 03:30 PM   #7

i hit it pretty hard with the vac when i was sweeping floor. one of those heavy dyson ones. tank was sitting on floor waiting for me ot finish the stand. usually when i clean house i drink bout a 1/5 of crown royal. so i prolly had bout 15 beers in me when i done it lol. i put all the gravel and stuff in a 10 gal ( its bout 8 inchs thick ) to see if i could keep any of the bacteria alive lol till i get another one. ive broke my flatscreen tv before drunk. it just happens around here lol. house is spotless though
Old 04-07-2010, 03:32 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Sorry to hear your tank problem. I had a similar thing happen years ago. Had two 15g under a 55g and was playing with a basketball and it got loose from me and hit the 15g tank. I was able to save the fish but cleaning up 15g of water was not fun. I can only imagine 55g of water on the floor.
Old 04-07-2010, 03:35 PM   #9

it prolly only spilled 40g of it. i lifted the broken corner up some and just let it drain till it stoped. pretty shaggy carpet helped with teh mess. couldnt imagine if it was on hardwood or somthing . have like an inch of water over the whole liviing room lol
Old 04-07-2010, 04:07 PM   #10
HN1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cholbert View Post
i hit it pretty hard with the vac when i was sweeping floor. one of those heavy dyson ones. tank was sitting on floor waiting for me ot finish the stand. usually when i clean house i drink bout a 1/5 of crown royal. so i prolly had bout 15 beers in me when i done it lol. i put all the gravel and stuff in a 10 gal ( its bout 8 inchs thick ) to see if i could keep any of the bacteria alive lol till i get another one. ive broke my flatscreen tv before drunk. it just happens around here lol. house is spotless though

Maybe try doing chores sober? Just sayin. :p

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com