One more question on angels....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lonewolfblue

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm looking at getting angels for my 75G soon, and was wondering how many to get. Would I be better off just getting 3, or could I do 5 with no problem? They will be juvi's.

well jchillin just advised me to get three juvis. It is best (from what i have read) to keep pairs seperate, (IOW, when they pair off, sperate them in different tanks, one pair per tank) to eliminate any agressive or teritorial problems. If you are only working with one tank for the angels, I would say buy three, then when they pair off, get a seperate tank for the "reject" or take the single angel back to the lfs.

I would go with 5. Thats what I have started with and you have a greater chance of having a true pair. I was lucky and got all 5 dime sized black angels at an auction for 9 bucks! Anyway, if you are looking for a good pair, I would go with more than 3 that way you are pretty much guaranteed a good match with 2 of them.

JMO, but I would get 6. Just be prepared to do some moving in a few months. IME angels that are raised together have a very good chance of cohabitating. If this doesn't work out, adult angels command some respect at the lfs. :wink:

I actually started with 4 four juveniles. One did prematurely expire and the three lived very happily until two of them paired up. They immediately began a campaign of harassment against their former buddy. One of them actually raced across the entire length of the tank (4 feet) and "speared" the now outsider. I took the lone one out immediately and placed her in the 30 gal.

As for me, I wouldn't care if they paired off or not. Just looking at a good setup. If I got 3, and did pair off, the 3rd could be moved to either my 26G or my 55G. So I do have some room there. Looking at getting Marble Blushers.

so why do most people put them in threes if its going to be alotta trouble of one getting rejected and the drama between the husband and wife. Is it so they can mate and breed them?

Gives a better chance to get a pair for breeding, yes. Then the 3rd you can sell, give to lfs for credit, or put in another tank. If I get 5 and get a pair, I have nowhere to go with the remaining 3, as my 26G is too small for 3 and the 55G has a 6 1/2 inch bala shark and a 11 1/2 inch bala shark, plus my 2 fire eels, 11 and 12 inches. Plus all my tiger barbs and loaches.

If it were me and it was a 75g tank, I would put decorations to break up the line of sight and put many angels in there. 5+

p.s. aren't angel fish a shoaling fish. if so, there would end up being 1 dominant one but the agression would get spread out and could be compensated for by providing cover and boken up lines of sight.

may be wrong, but.

when you guys mean pairs do you guys mean female male? so what is that one male and two females?

I would go with the higher numbers. Mostly because it is a lot harder to add angels to the tank later on than it is at the start. Sadly, some might not grow out to adults, so you increase your odds of having the number you want if you start off with more. Once they make it to adolescent and adult size, they tend to be very hardy. Beware the temptations of finding "Oh wow" angels later on and thinking of adding them in, and if you already have your full complement you might be able to restrain yourself.

just adding this for fun, but I have a single angel in one of my tanks and just got easter eggs.

Back
Top Bottom