Opininios needed!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jamesyboy11

Aquarium Advice Regular
Just got a new clown knifefish, should he be okay a parrot fish and an oscar

Its a 55gal and the parrot is about 3 inches and the oscsar is about 3.5inches

I'm gonna say no because oscars grow very fast and should have a bare minimum of 55g to themselves. I don't know much of anything about parrots but the knife should reach 12" as well as the oscar. That's 2 too many fish for a 55g. I would get atleast a 125g to successfully keep all those fish. It might not seem like a lot of fish but it is when they grow. When buying fish you really wanna research them ahead of time to make sure you can accommodate their adult size now instead of the future because that future upgrade may never come.

Well i just added him in, and he is about 6-7 inches and they seem to like one another, and yes i plan to upgrade to a 300gal tank in a while.
Thanks
Cheers:)

This is actually the knife he has, gets to be 40" Clown Knife Fish - Chitala ornata

Your tank will be ok for about 3-4 months. Both knife fish and oscars are fast growers, someone is going to die after that.

Best bet is get that 300 gallon tank cycling now. with proper tank size your fish will be fine together. Very cool fish. I wish I had the space for a clown knife good luck and keep us updated.

Thanks ill have to a seperate tank in a month or so. its good to know, i thought they only get to 20 inches long in a fish tank

Thanks ill have to a seperate tank in a month or so. its good to know, i thought they only get to 20 inches long in a fish tank

Some websites, particularly the one selling them say 20" I think so they can sell them. But I have personally seen one pushing 36" It was a really impressive looking fish. Very regal looking.

Clown knife and RTC are my dream fish but I don't think I will ever have the room.

Back
Top Bottom