Opinion: What is the best biological filter media?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Labenator65000

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a HOB. There is some room in the intake reservoir where some bio media could be added. I would like to hear opinions on what people prefer to use for bio media?

Depends on whether you are doing hard water or soft. Aragonite rubble is good as is just about any of the sintered glass or ceramic media.

Well that's a bit of a controversy. Dead live rock.

Yes that is true. I noticed my fish color up and I dont have to add buffer anymore and my PH is always 8.2. It is a very good media platform for BB. But some disagree for its use in a freshwater tank. I put mine in my sump so its not in contact with my fish.

HN1 said:
Depends on whether you are doing hard water or soft. Aragonite rubble is good as is just about any of the sintered glass or ceramic media.

I have relatively had water, suitable for Lake Malawi Cichlids. Can the two media you mentioned just be added to the intake reservoir of the HOB?

yes as long as it's not slowing your flow to the point of overflowing past your current media.

Yes, but I'd caution against using it in the intake. A small "crumb" could cost you an impeller. It'd be safer to add it to the media area of the filter. What type of filter is it?

HN1 said:
Yes, but I'd caution against using it in the intake. A small "crumb" could cost you an impeller. It'd be safer to add it to the media area of the filter...

That's good advice.

Back
Top Bottom