Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 02-26-2012, 12:05 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
J19Reynolds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Joshua, Tx
Posts: 612
Opinions about bigger cichild

If I get a bigger kenyi than the one I have now will the smaller on stop being so aggressive? Or would just adding a couple more same size be better?
__________________

__________________
J19Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 12:28 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Fishie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: US, Ga
Posts: 2,508
Quote:
Originally Posted by J19Reynolds
If I get a bigger kenyi than the one I have now will the smaller on stop being so aggressive? Or would just adding a couple more same size be better?
Adding a couple more would balance out the aggresive I would think. What are the other tank mates and tank size?
__________________

__________________
55G-Malawi setup
2 20G long-community (planted)
5G and 10g-Fry
30G- S. and C. America tank
Fishie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 12:35 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
J19Reynolds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Joshua, Tx
Posts: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishie

Adding a couple more would balance out the aggresive I would think. What are the other tank mates and tank size?
Right now here are 4... 2 yellow labs a kenyi and a maingano


Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2824730927.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	79102

This is 3 of them my maingano is the same size as the small yellow lab
__________________
J19Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 12:47 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Fishie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: US, Ga
Posts: 2,508
Quote:
Originally Posted by J19Reynolds

Right now here are 4... 2 yellow labs a kenyi and a maingano

This is 3 of them my maingano is the same size as the small yellow lab
What's your tank size? 30G? I don't know how many you could fit maybe just 1-2 more African cichlids.
__________________
55G-Malawi setup
2 20G long-community (planted)
5G and 10g-Fry
30G- S. and C. America tank
Fishie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 12:49 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
J19Reynolds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Joshua, Tx
Posts: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishie

What's your tank size? 30G? I don't know how many you could fit maybe just 1-2 more African cichlids.
Believe it's a 25 or 29
__________________
J19Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 12:50 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
J19Reynolds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Joshua, Tx
Posts: 612
My niece is taking the 2 smaller ones for her first tank so I'll only have te 2 bigger ones and ones a female n ones a male
__________________
J19Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 03:20 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Mogurako's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: US, Washington state
Posts: 4,449
That's why you are having aggressions issues that tank is much to small for those fish.
__________________
Mogurako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 03:25 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Mogurako's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: US, Washington state
Posts: 4,449
A 25-29 gallon is much to small for those Mbuna and is most likely a cause of your aggression. When you add Kenyi into that mix it's even worse, they are a hyper aggressive fish are not good for beginners. You have to pay very close attention to stocking ratios and tank size to keep aggression levels under control.
__________________
Mogurako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 03:34 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
J19Reynolds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Joshua, Tx
Posts: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogurako
A 25-29 gallon is much to small for those Mbuna and is most likely a cause of your aggression. When you add Kenyi into that mix it's even worse, they are a hyper aggressive fish are not good for beginners. You have to pay very close attention to stocking ratios and tank size to keep aggression levels under control.
I want to get rid of my kenyi she is the most problems so If I got rid of her would it be ok? I can't upgrade tanks again right now
__________________
J19Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 03:43 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Mogurako's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: US, Washington state
Posts: 4,449
Quote:
Originally Posted by J19Reynolds

I want to get rid of my kenyi she is the most problems so If I got rid of her would it be ok? I can't upgrade tanks again right now
i would rehome all the fish honestly and start over. If you can't upgrade don't buy the fish that require larger tanks. That tank IMO is only suitable to smaller dwarf cichlids like rams, Kribs, shellies.
__________________

__________________
Mogurako is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
chi, ich

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Thinking about Bettas Snowfire Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 37 03-01-2012 07:03 PM
Question about german blue rams HeatherW Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started 69 02-27-2012 01:00 AM
need suggession about pwc sayan Cichlid Discussion 7 02-24-2012 01:06 PM
Questions about cycling jlbfish Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started 12 02-24-2012 11:13 AM







» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.