Opinions wanted, substrate choice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TMRC Exotics

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm getting ready to move my Firemouth/Severum tank to the 60 gallon, I was wondering aesthetically what color sand I should go with. Currently the tank has white sand but I'm changing it out, I'm considering a black sand bed instead. Anyone have any opinions of which would look nicer with these fishes colors?

They will get dark on a darker sand. Pool filter or play sand will be a little darker than white sand..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I definitely prefer black sand, really seems to bring out the colors of fish and shrimp. I'm a bit too ocd for white, everything shows up on it.

I definitely prefer black sand, really seems to bring out the colors of fish and shrimp. I'm a bit too ocd for white, everything shows up on it.

I agree while white sand looks nice everything that settles you will see

Sent from me quietly wishing I was a fish

They will get dark on a darker sand. Pool filter or play sand will be a little darker than white sand..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hmm, not sure that would be a bad thing with these guys colors.. thanks.
+1 for light

yours do pop on it. Thanks.
+1 dark

I would go with natural sand.

i do want a natural look, thanks mike.

+2 light

I agree while white sand looks nice everything that settles you will see

Sent from me quietly wishing I was a fish
yeah I deal with that now in my mbuna tank, I'm gonna take it as a vote for dark, lol if I'm wrong tell me, thanks for the input.
+2 dark

So I guess were as tied as I am on it. Really still undecided, do you guys think it will effect the cichlids colors much? Their on a medium brown gravel now.

I would think they'd be most comfortable-and therefore show best colors-on something that mimics their natural habitat. Going along those lines, I'd either choose a dark natural sand or just go with the black.

Back
Top Bottom