Optimal ph for German Ram (Microgeophagus ramirezi)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

perle

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,

I am sure this has been asked before, but I had thought cichlids require alkaline/basic water. However I have seen references to people keeping German Rams in ph below 7.

I have an RO tank and I would like to eventually get one or two rams. My ph is stable around 6.4 and unlikely to change very much (maybe 6.6 max).

So what is the truth? A general description of the water necessary for rams would be appreciated.

Thanks

~perle

RAM's like lower ph, but can survive very well in up to 7.8. They prefer slightly acidic, not alkaline. I have my planted tank set between 6.3-6.5, which is what's preferred for Rams. And my Bolivians are breeding like crazy, lol. I also have GBR's that are doing rather well. Very colorful and happy.

African cichlids require alkaline water but South Americans like German Blues prefer soft, slightly acidic. Your water is right in the middle of their optimum. Go for it.

Thanks much. What signs do I need to look for when purchasing such a fish? Some of the fish stores in my area are kind of shady, and my regular LFS doesn't carry them (it is a general pet shop). This purchase will not be for a month or so regardless.

~perle

When i look for a pr of them. I always look for dark colors and long fins in the male. I try to stand back aways from the tank. So as not to let them see me so I can whatch and see whitch ones acting better with the others { not fighting,calmer, more active then the rest } the female the same. I stay away from the ones that are chasing the others and or the ones just staying to it self not going around the other. the one getting picked on alot.
I keep my rams in 6.2 ph with alka at 90ppm or 3.7degres They do good in this set up with loads of plants.

Back
Top Bottom