Optimal size of fish tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JF213

Aquarium Advice Activist
I currently have a 55g tank and I am looking to upgrade. I am just wondering what size tank is necessary to stock the fish that I would like to stock.

1-green terror
1-green Severum
1-black convict
2-fire mouths

I cannot find anything bigger than a 75 gallon tank in my area. No stories carry them, not even my LFS. This means that I need to special order something and do not want to select the wrong thing.

Lastly, would I need to switch to a sump or canister. What brand canister?

Thank you for all of your feedback.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I currently have a 55g tank and I am looking to upgrade. I am just wondering what size tank is necessary to stock the fish that I would like to stock.

1-green terror
1-green Severum
1-black convict
2-fire mouths

I cannot find anything bigger than a 75 gallon tank in my area. No stories carry them, not even my LFS. This means that I need to special order something and do not want to select the wrong thing.

Lastly, would I need to switch to a sump or canister. What brand canister?

Thank you for all of your feedback.

Nothing smaller than 110 gallons. With those fish you will be at 100% capacity. A 120 gallon long is a beautiful tank and perfect for a planted aquarium. It would also give the fish some wiggle room. I would also go with a canister filter, I prefer EHEIM, but Fluvals are good too.

Is a 120 long the same foot print as a 125?

Not the ones that I have seen. 120 longs usually are wider and shallower than 125s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would that be better for a Sa/ca cichlid tank (120 v 125)? The 120 that you mention would fit better in my house

Depends on your house. 125s are about 6 feet wide, but they are narrow front to back. 120 longs are about 5 feet wide and deeper front to back. Whichever fits your liking.

If I get a 125, could I add more convicts or Severum? Or is this tank already maxed out?

I refer to AQADVISOR. According to that he is about 250%.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkwith the new tank, he will be about right.

Hi dcutl002,

I know that I am over stocked on the 55g. All my fish are young and I am looking to upgrade my tank.

Are you saying that I would still be overstocked on a 125g tank?

Thank you for your help.

Surface area is more important than water volume, especially if you are talking only a few gallons.
The 120 long would support more livestock than the 125 because there is more actual surface area.
Tall/show tanks sacrifice surface area/holding capacity in favor of a larger display.
So if the 120 fits better that is great because it is also the best choice, IMO.

The fish you currently have will do fine in a 120, but you really shouldn't consider adding any more as they will max out a 120 at full adult size.

I would also recommend having two canister filters running on that size tank, regardless of what the manufacturer states.

IMO aquadvisor isn't very accurate and errors very greatly on the side of safety, you will be fine.

Hi PB_smith,

I am just trying to ensure that I understand you correctly. It is better to have a deeper tank rather than longer?

The 120 and 125 are pretty much the same height. The 120 is 6" deeper, but the 125 is 2' longer. I thought the 2' would allow the cichlids more distance rather than the 6".

Thank you for your help. I am learning a lot.

I would definitely go with a 6 foot tank over a 4 foot tank. Length is most important, followed by width (front to back) and then depth (top to bottom).

I found this on Google: 120 long is 60 X 18 X 26. 120 high is 48 X 18 X 26 and a 125 is 72 X 18 X 21.

Can a 120g have the same w and h, but a different length? Wouldn't that change the gallons?

Back
Top Bottom