Orange Blossom Hybrid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GloGuy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone! Today I received an assortment of 3 peacocks & haps I ordered online. I have another 3 on order for next week to complete the stock. I opted to have the experts at Live Fish Direct choose the best available and compatible fish. I received a Super Red Empress Fire Hap, Ahli Electric Blue, and an Orange Blossom Peacock. They are all 4"+ and absolutely gorgeous, so I'm happy. After some research on hybrids, I wanted to get everyone's opinion on the subject. He's a good looking dude, but it seems the hybrids are generally frowned upon. What does everyone think?

Attachments

• image-667304079.jpg
    image-667304079.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 155
Thanks for the links. Much appreciated. I'm a newbie, so I didn't realize it was a touchy subject. I like him, so I guess that's what matters most anyhow. This is my first cichlid tank, so I'm learning a lot.

I personally think that OB peacocks are the neatest cichlids you can get! I have 1 that's about an inch long and I hope he looks as good as yours does

I just wanted to add that every sunfish around here is a hybrid... So it happens in nature.

My point is, if you think all hybrid fish need to die, then you and Voldemort are on the same page.

The hybridizing you are referring to is most likely the cause of human meddling, rather than "nature". I will almost guarantee that one of the fish that is hybridizing is a species that doesn't naturally occur there (invasive species).

The hybridize nag you are referring to is most likely the cause of human meddling, rather than "nature". I will almost guarantee that one of the fish that is hybridize nag is a species that doesn't naturally occur there (invasive species).

I see a lot of redear/orange spot hybrids. Which I'm pretty sure are both native to Nebraska...

I also wanted to add I am a hybrid. Should I be killed? I'm part Neanderthal.

Enlighten me on where you learned this, as intensive DNA testing is generally necessary to determine this...not trying to attack, but this is not something a person commonly knows.

And there's no one saying all hybrids need to be killed, but when you're talking about the destruction of several species within the hobby, then yes, hybrids should be culled.

Enlighten me on where you learned this, as intensive DNA testing is generally necessary to determine this...not trying to attack, but this is not something a person commonly knows.

And there's no one saying all hybrids need to be killed, but when you're talking about the destruction of several species within the hobby, then yes, hybrids should be culled.

My dad was part of the study about it conducted a while ago:p.

I personally think that OB peacocks are the neatest cichlids you can get! I have 1 that's about an inch long and I hope he looks as good as yours does

I bet that will be fun to watch change.

The hybridize nag you are referring to is most likely the cause of human meddling, rather than "nature". I will almost guarantee that one of the fish that is hybridize nag is a species that doesn't naturally occur there (invasive species).

What makes them a nag? Do they pester other fish, outside of normal cichlid behavior of course?

Seems like the age old argument of breeding for appearance versus maintaining natural lines. That debate aside, are there any health concerns or behavioral issues with hybrids?

Seems like the age old argument of breeding for appearance versus maintaining natural lines. That debate aside, are there any health concerns or behavioral issues with hybrids?

Some hybrids can get deformities from it. But most do not and I don't see what's wrong with them then.

I don't want to be killed because of thousands of years ago some hybridization happened.

I just bought my firsts"calico" peacock and I hope it turns out to look awsome. I am ok with man made hybrids in captivity especially if mine ends up looking like his dad.

Some hybrids can get deformities from it. But most do not and I don't see what's wrong with them then.

I don't want to be killed because of thousands of years ago some hybridization happened.

No reason to kill something that already exists. I can see the stance that they shouldn't be supplied, but there's a obviously a demand. From what I've seen, these guys look great and people like them. I know mine is becoming my favorite fish. Friends that first see the tank always point him out too.

I think that's an important note- man made hybrids in captivity. We're talking about fish bred for the sake of the hobby because they look great. It's not a weird scientific experiment where animals are being harmed. There aren't any natural ecosystems being destroyed, and these aren't being introduced into Lake Malawi. Right?

Blood parrots can't even close their mouth due to deformities from hybridizing....why create a fish that can't defend itself or eat properly?

And once again, NO one is saying kill all hybrids on earth...they are saying to cull hybrid fry, basically feed the, to something that would normally eat fish anyway!

I'm done with this because its the same thread that's popped up 7 times in the past year. Go read the other threads, every argument you can make for or against them has already been made...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom