Osaka 260 Aquarium- Cichlid Stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mad-Hatter-Justin

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone,

I am purchasing an Osaka 260 aquarium (260 litres, approx 62 UK gallons and 69 US gallons) from my local aquatics centre this coming Wednesday. I have had aquariums previously with Angelfish and was considering setting up a species tank but I am not entirely sure I want to do that again. So I was hoping you guys & girls could help me...

1.) How many adult Angelfish would my tank eventually stock as a species tank? (I was thinking about 6 or 7 + a small pleco possibly)

2.) Does anyone have any ideas for a community tank with Angelfish? (Research seems to suggest Tetras but is there anything else a little less predictable?)

3.) I saw a beautiful pair of (juveniles) peach/golden Severum, which the assistant has kindly reserved for me for until the end of next month (allow for nitrogen cycle etc). He seems to think that the tank will house these two from now until they die, providing they are only with a small pleco or by themselves? I love this idea! Obviously I would aquascape my tank in accordance with their needs but I wanted a second opinion on this arrangement. I thought one would be quite comfortable with a pleco, but two with a pleco throughout adulthood seemed a little tight when they can get up to 10"- I think..? Anyway I wanted to ask you guys!

4.) Also on the above ^^ would a Severum not be unhappy by itself or with just a pleco?

5.) Any other tank suggestions/ comments would be much appreciated!

Sorry for posting a new thread when I'm only a newbie! And sorry it's so incredibly long! :rolleyes:

Thanks

Justin :)

A species tank with angels is risky at best. Usually angels will pair up and harass the rest to death. I had 7 angels in a 84G tank. When 2 paired up to breed they killed the other 5. I have a community with 2 angels, bala sharks, bolivian rams, giant danios, black neon tetras and 2 small species plecos. They all get along great. I also have a cichlid tank with red zebras, blue zebras, acei, yellow labs, ob zebras and clown loaches. That tank is very active and very colorful. You just have to provide lots of hiding spaces for the cichlids and they will stay out of each others way and be happy. Good luck with your choice!

Angel fish stock

I have a 30G tank with 4 Angelfish, 2 clown loaches, 3 bala sharks and 3 red fin sharks. They all get along great. It's a fairly new tank (4 months or so) so I know that in the next few months I'll expect to upgrade it to something significantly bigger. Oh, I also keep ghost shrimp and cherry shrimp in there as well. Good luck!

Spoonman: I'm very interested to find out that you have clown loaches in your african cichlid tank. I always just assumed that they'd not mix. I love clowns (was very sad when I lost three to Ich - or more to the point, lost them to my own stupidity for not QT'ing).

Just a thought, you could do an all male Malawi Peacock tank. As long as you got 1 male from each colour group you could have all males in their full glory. They are very spectacular whaen done correctly.

Hi all, thanks for responding just to let you know I now have the tank and it is all set up ready to go! Just waiting for the darn nitrogen cycle to finish and I will be off to get my fishies! I will post some pictures when I'm done- thanks once again!

I have a malawi cihclid tank with clown loaches too. THey get a long fine, no issues.

Back
Top Bottom