Oscar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

n3wt

Aquarium Advice Regular
Does anyone have a Tiger Oscar that can help me out?

I have had my Oscar for a while now and I've learned that he is very aggressive from putting fish in with him. He's about 4-5 inches now and I was wondering if I put a fish that is less aggressive but larger than him will anything happen. Like him trying to beat up the other fish because hes beaten up a few fish that were an inch or so bigger than him in the past and I've had to remove the fish before he killed them. I don't keep the water temperature hot it's about 76f in the tank and all the ph and other levels are at normal levels. So I guess I just got an extra aggressive one or something because I can't even keep a Pleco in there. All I have to help clean the tank are a few snails and he pecks at them every once and a while. Anyone have any history with real aggressive fish?

he was in a 20 gallon tank when I first got him but I recently got a 55 gallon tank and hes been in there for a few weeks. I haven't put any other fish in with him in the 55 gallon tank since I've had it. Do you think now that there is almost 3 times as much space he will not be as aggressive?

Increased space should help.
Do you have any decor in the tank? Anything to break up potential territories?

Keep in mind, that 55gal is not a suitable final home for an oscar. Frankly, I hate 55gal tanks. The dimensions are just all wrong for most applications. It's not wide enough for most fish that people buy them for. A 75gal gives 6in extra width, so when your oscar is 12+ inches, he'll be able to turn around without hitting his face on the glass.

My friend's oscar, now 6yrs old, went nuts in a 55g. Jumping, splashing, daily. Was all better when we moved her to a 75g. She's now 14in+. She has tankmates, too: female convict, pictus cat, opaline gourami, 10in pleco.

What do you feed yours? His is on a pellets only diet, with occasional crayfish, and has been for years.

Right now all I have are a few live plants, nothing really to break up territories, I don't really know what to use. Maybe some large rocks or something?

I feed it pellets right now, but I've seen it eat a few moths and other bugs because my doors are always open.

You'll either need:
1 setup tank with other fish already in it, so they have their territories, and the oscar has to find his
2 rocks / driftwood, hiding places

Thanks, do you know of any fish that get along with Oscars? There's a good fish store by my house and they have a large selection of freshwater fish that I was going to see what they have.

Back
Top Bottom