Oscar Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Missxstatic

Aquarium Advice Newbie
We live in Newcastle NSW, Australia. Our first lot of fish were brought from a pet supplies store, while my partner's new Red Tiger Oscars were purchased at Petbarn in Kotara NSW.

The Oscars were purchased 4 days ago and I have taken photos of them daily, to check their progress. My partner's last Oscar recently died from an unknown sickness. When he became sick, we did some research and kept receiving the same reply - antibiotics. So, we went to the Pet supply store, explained what had happened and asked for the antibiotics. The store replied "what kind of antibiotics?" We assumed the store would know, as we couldn't find the exact name of it. So obviously, the Oscar died.

We had tried various ideas: water changes, cleaning hoses, filters etc. My partner added some Multi-Cure, I have never liked this product - it seems to make the fish more sick. I have a small bottle of Ick-Away and put in a third of what the dose should've been - Oscar became better, he was eating, moving around more and even playing. For some reason, he became sick again. My partner and I live separately, Oscar was always fine when I was there but became sick when I was away.

So 4 days ago, my partner purchased 4 Red Tiger Oscars from Petbarn (another pet supply store). The store assistant was slow, she helped customers who just walked through the door while the other customers waited up to 30 minutes to be served. By the time my partner was served, the assistant placed the bag of Oscars on a bench and climbed the ladder stairs to get my daughter's tetra. As she was bagging the Tetra, elderly customers actually cried out "there's fish on the floor". The assistant then said to my partner "pick those fish up". From the moment we walked into the store, we had problems - after dropping/falling off the high bench, the Oscars hid in the corner of the plastic bag, there were scratches on their sides and other injuries. I emailed the head office as I sat in the carpark, informing them of my concerns. We've made them comfortable in their new tank, but they just don't seem right. Some are swimming on their sides, some have sad faces with droopy & tired eyes, while a couple of them have bad looking white spot. They were all swimming together, but the Oscar with the heaps droopy eyes has been by himself - right in the corner of the tank. It hasn't been picked on, yet. PH levels are fine, oxygen is fine, the heater is between 27°c to 28°c and it's a 4ft tank. I haven't got the photos from the first 2 - 3 days, but I have just taken these photos today...

Today - Day 4
The worst of the White Spot:
image-4288042470.jpg

A little bit of White Spot and Other Injuries:
image-1007045445.jpg

Yesterday - Day 3:
image-317945820.jpg

Day 2
Sad and Partly Droopy:
image-1125031460.jpg

Day 1:
image-2711427788.jpg

The Receipt:
image-165787803.jpg

• Does anyone have any idea of what could be happening exactly?

• What is the name or type of antibiotics best for Oscars?

• Should I use my Ick-Away for the white spot? That is what it's for and for stress. But there's not much left.

We are quite new to having Oscars and don't know too much about them. Our last Oscar, we had for almost a year. My partner wants to breed them, yet knows NOTHING about them. Any info I have found, was online. We have just started breeding guppy fry, our first lot were born about a month ago - still hoping to feed them to the new Oscars, they haven't had anything live... That we know of.

Looks to be ich. Raise the water temp to 84-86 degrees. I also add salt to the tank, but many people say that its not necessary. Once the spots are gone leave the temp up for a few days to make sure its deffinately gone. Remember to slowly raise the temp, not all at once. After the spots are gone do a large water change and slowly lower the temp back to normal. Good luck!

Oscars are big messy cichlids, a 4 foot tank isn't big enough for 4, only 1 if its at least 55 gallons and no tank mates. 4 will out grow that tank in a month or 2.

Back
Top Bottom