Oscar Aggression

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oscarman101

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys just me again just wondering if you have any ideas on how i could stop the bullyingnin my tank i have two oscars only 6inches in length but they are always fighting and one is starting to look really bad. If anyone can help with this or if you want pics then just adk ill glady post cheers

Not much to say other than your tank is far to small, two semi aggressive fish in a 3ft box is recipe for soon to be one fish in a 3ft box. Rehome the less aggressive fish as your going to have to sooner than later due further aggression and deteriorating water quality.

Their is nothing wtong with my water quality as it is and as i have stated before its a 4ft tank and their only six inches im not going to buy a 6ft tank for to baby fish

Their is nothing wtong with my water quality as it is and as i have stated before its a 4ft tank and their only six inches im not going to buy a 6ft tank for to baby fish

If your not ready for the truth then next time don't waste our time asking questions for something your not willing to change...good luck.

...two "baby" fish that grow incredibly fast, have a huge bioload, and are quite territorial...yeah, not upgrading or rehoming is brilliant. I 100% agree with HUKIT, don't ask if you don't want to hear the truth. And just because you asked a second time does not mean that you will yield different results...

I agree with hukit as well. I actually just took my oscar out yesterday to a different tank with nothing in there because he has gotten to aggressive to 1 other oscar and my jack Dempsey. Since I have done this last night the tank has really calmed down and the fish are not hiding anymore. Take the advice the way you will but we are not here to tell you what to do we are here to help and give advice. What you do with the advice that is given is your option.

image-3181485600.jpg

If your not ready for the truth then next time don't waste our time asking questions for something your not willing to change...good luck.
i never said i wasnt willing to change it an yes i know the tankbis to small but at the moment i cant afford a six foot tank and am waiting until they are larger to get a bigger tank but as for rehoming the agressive oscar i want to do that i just dont have a big enough tank for it

The tank is 65 gallon it would be ohkay for just one. As i stated the water quality is fine i do 50 pecent water change biweekly and amonia and nitrates are fine. I do need to get a larger tank but it wont be until next year after christmas because of no money. Thanks for everyones concern about the tank size i have that covered. This is about them attacking each other, not size but thanks everyone for your help and opinion

But if you listen to what everyone is saying, your tank is too small. I wouldn't do 2 oscars in less than 100 gallons. They are messy fish. You can't stop them from being aggressive when their home is too small.

But if you listen to what everyone is saying, your tank is too small. I wouldn't do 2 oscars in less than 100 gallons. They are messy fish. You can't stop them from being aggressive when their home is too small.
yeah i know what everyone is saying but their 5inches they dont need the bigger tank at this moment they have plenty of room. This tank they are in is only a temperary one. The water looks dirty because of lighting but is very clean

Attachments

• image-836478283.jpg
    image-836478283.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 81
The tank is already too small for oscars this size. And you don't have until after Xmas to upgrade. They should be 9-10 inches by then if looked after properly. At the size they are now 50% water change every 2 days would be good. Rehome one and keep just one in your tank and let him grow properly.

Hey guys just me again just wondering if you have any ideas on how i could stop the bullyingnin my tank i have two oscars only 6inches in length but they are always fighting and one is starting to look really bad. If anyone can help with this or if you want pics then just adk ill glady post cheers

Get a few tall fake plants to act as a divider in the middle of the tank, and then have 1 good hiding spot on each end of the tank for each fish. If that doesn't work right away, rearrange everything whenever the aggression gets too bad. If thats still not working after a few weeks you'll either have to remove 1 of the fish or get an actual divider to keep the 2 fish separate. Otherwise, you'll probably be scooping a dead oscar outta there before the new year.

This is about them attacking each other, not size

That's why they're attacking each other because the tank is to small and doesn't allow for each fish to have a indiviual territory.

Why do you think there are so many fights in prison, toss a bunch of aggressive people in a small confined space= tempers flare and people die...same applies to fish it's not rocket science.

+1 with HUKIT, hes right. The reason their bullying is because <<simply>> the tank is too small to handle 2 oscars. If you werrent willing to buy a 6 ft tank then you shouldnt of bought the fish at all. I recommend no less then 75 gallons just for ONE oscar.

There was a study a while back that showed fish ( mainly cichlids), in small tanks will behave aggressively.

+1 with HUKIT, hes right. The reason their bullying is because <<simply>> the tank is too small to handle 2 oscars. If you werrent willing to buy a 6 ft tank then you shouldnt of bought the fish at all. I recommend no less then 75 gallons just for ONE oscar.
as ive stated previously on different threads ive gone off what i was told by the workers at the pets shop sorry im not an expert on the fish. Im buying another tank after the new year but until then i have to deal with the equipment i have ive taken everyone on here into consideration and i know that one of them might die but thats something that might end up happening. Ive been doing everything i can to keep them as healthy as as i can, im not on here for abuse and sheer negativity i came on here for advise, nothing more. Thanks for the advise to everyone who gave it.

Last edited by a moderator:
as ive stated previously on different threads ive gone off what i was told by the workers at the pets shop sorry im not an expert on the fish. Im buying another tank after the new year but until then i have to deal with the equipment i have ive taken everyone on here into consideration and i know that one of them might die but thats something that might end up happening. Ive been doing everything i can to keep them as healthy as as i can, im not on here for abuse and sheer negativity i came on here for advise, nothing more. Thanks for the advise to everyone who gave it.

Why not bring one back to the store get some store credit or cash and put it towards your new setup? Then when you have the space get another again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why not bring one back to the store get some store credit or cash and put it towards your new setup? Then when you have the space get another again.
i have been thinking of taking one back to the pet store but they dont give you much for them. They bought a 12 inch oscar for a light bulb. The owner was bragging about it, because its 17 inches now.

Unfortunately people often don't give much for "used" fish. If your lucky they'll give you some in store credit. Many years ago I stopped trying to get something out of my fish rehomes. When I'm trying to set up a tank and need to rehome some grown out fish or fish that aren't working out, I post an ad on our local aquatic site and do my best to get it a good home at no charge. If not then it usually goes to a LFS for nothing more than keeping good relations with a reputable LFS and hope what goes around comes around.

Back
Top Bottom