Oscar and Firemouths together?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rivers2k

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have been keeping fish for along time and always thought oscars were kind of bla and boring but recently they have been catching my attention and I have become quite interested in them. Its weird the past year I have become interested in many fish I never cared for before.

I have a bunch of fire mouth babies and have become quite attached to them and thought it would be cool to keep a bunch of them and put them in a 90 or 125 gallon. To offset all the little guys darting around having an oscar in with them, when the FM's get bigger that is. I know it depends on fish personality is this doable? I don't see why it wouldn't be but I guess I am asking if anyone has kept the two together.

In a 90g no but a six foot 125g it's fine, and the water quality is the only reason. Neither are aggressive towards tankmates, and are more bark than bite.

I would keep 1 Astronotus ocellatus and 4-5 Thoricthys meeki and call it a day.

Why meeki as there are so many better options in Thoricthys like pasiones, aurem, or maculipinnis?

My pasiones and maculipinnis.

27198-albums13421-picture63108.jpg

27198-albums9947-picture46456.jpg

Last edited:
I was thinking the 90 with out the oscar just a group of meeki. If I added an oscar then the 125. I should have been more clear on that.

maculipinnis are a better option in your opinion. I really like the meeki I like there personalities and there body shape and I like there colors. I thinking the beauty of the meeki lays within the subtleness of the colors. They show flashes of green, yellow, blue and silver with that slate grey under tone contrasting the bright red throat. I get so excited to watch them because I never know what I am going to see next. I just got into Thoricthys Meeki this year and they have become my absolute favorite fish. Nothing wrong with pasiones, aurem, or maculipinnis I have never owned them but the meeki has me hooked (pun not intended but it works).

But back to the original question I was thinking of keeping about 15 of the about 75 Meeki that I have now and cutting down the group as they grow until I get a tank that looks right. I was thinking 5 or 6 but will see what happens.

In a 4ft tank I don't think you'll get away with anymore than 4 adult fish, especially after they pair. I would think 4 meeki along with a nice large school of Hyphessobrycon anisitsi along with a smaller plec would fill that tank nicely.

In a 4ft tank I don't think you'll get away with anymore than 4 adult fish, especially after they pair. I would think 4 meeki along with a nice large school of Hyphessobrycon anisitsi along with a smaller plec would fill that tank nicely.

That would look nice. I have thought about Hyphessobrycon Anisitsi before never owned them though. If I did the 125 the Hyphessobrycon Anisitsi couldn't go in with the Thoricthys Meeki and the Tiger Oscar could they? I assume the oscar would snack on them when he is full grown.

It's hit or miss with the larger cichlids eating the tetras, I've got over 150 of them scattered throughout my fish room. I have a 13" midevil who leaves them alone but a 8" Hericthys turquoise sp. who destroys them. Just buy them when they are on sale at Petsmart for dollar, I buy a few stores out when the sale is going on.

In a 90 I think you could do a Oscar and a firemouth. They should be just fine.

I have an Oscar with 3 fire mouths in a 60 gallon. They are all fine together. No issue.

Attachments

• image-921681242.jpg
    image-921681242.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 122
I have an Oscar with 3 fire mouths in a 60 gallon. They are all fine together. No issue.

That is a nice tank thanks for sharing.

I actually picked up a tiny Tiger Oscar last night he is only about an 1.5" he is too small to go in my main tank so I have him in a 20 long to get some size then he will go in with my adult Fire mouths and JD in my 75 gallon until he out grows that.

Back
Top Bottom