Oscar and Jewel fish compatibility

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

arup

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
are tiger oscar and jewel fish compatible with each other. planning to keep 4 jewel with one tiger oscar.

I think that could work provided the tank is greater than 100 gallons. I would not attempt that in anything less.

ummm they come from different continents (so major incompatibility there, and some parameter/ diet differences) and the oscar can get over 12 in, while the jewel gets to about 6? am i wrong?

i dont think they will work. oscars are too aggressive and will pick fights - and the jewels are tough enough to gang up and win them. im not sure who'd kill who but its just better for you to get a different fish sorry x

I have read that jewels are absolute maniacs when breeding plus they are from different a different continent to oscar's.Tbh I wouldn't risk it just my opinion. Though.

Why all the fuss about the different continents? The water parameters of a jewel cichlid are Inline with an Oscar, as well as diet. Jewels aren't lake cichlids with hard water/high ph requirements.

Aggression would be the biggest decision making factor to me. I've seen jewels do well with convicts and jack dempseys. Unless anyone has seen otherwise, I wouldn't rule them out with oscars. Also - how can you recommend against this setup without even hearing how large the tank is?

Ps. I've seen oscars and convicts coexist and convicts are smaller than jewels.

its not so much the parameters as it is aggression. they naturally hate eachother it seems if they are from different continents.

how large IS the tank? xx

I have a mixed cichlid tank with this 4 jewels and other cichlids. Now I'm going to get a 75 gallon tank for tiger Oscar. So I was thinking to move my jewels with the Oscar.

Back
Top Bottom