Oscar and pictus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jace810

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
If you put pictus catfish with an oscar, would they end up as lunch? Or will their spiny fins deter the oscar?

Depends on how big the catfish is. Oscars only attempt to eat things that can fit in their mouth.

Sent from my SCH-I415 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I guess I'm wondering if anyone has had their oscar ear their pictus catfish. If you put the oscar with them when he is small, he won't. But will he when he gets bigger if they grow with him or are full grown already? I hear they grow to about 6"

I guess I'm wondering if anyone has had their oscar ear their pictus catfish. If you put the oscar with them when he is small, he won't. But will he when he gets bigger if they grow with him or are full grown already? I hear they grow to about 6"

A friend of mine had something similar occur. He kept a common pleco with an oscar since they were both small juveniles. He came home to the tail portion of the pleco hanging out of the oscars mouth. Both were close to the same size (quite large!!). Nothing could be done to help the pleco and it could not be pulled from the oscar due to the spines. It took almost three days but he did eventually swallow the entire pleco and made a full recovery from the incident within a week.

Wow!! I guess nothing is ever really safe from the jaws of an oscar! Thanks for sharing! I may move my pictus to another tank when the oscar starts to catch up in size. They do really help clean up after the oscar when he eats, but I don't want to loose the pictus or the oscar to a dinner mishap.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1401339981.120694.jpg
My 3 and 4 inch pictus with oscar in the shadows in the background

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1401340177.546772.jpg
He loves to come to the edge off the glass for pictures but doesn't hold still :D

I've just bought an Oscar of about 8" maybe a little more. It's a red version, and a absolute beauty. Probably the best example of the species i've seen in a fish store, thats why i had to get him despite having to move a few fish around. My 2-1/2" clown loaches have been moved along with my 2" Panamensis Cichlid. I've got 5 silver dollars with him about 2-1/2", a silver shark of about 5", and other cichlids from about 5" to 3-1/2". Also a featherfin of 4" and a Gibbiceps of about 9". So far so good but i'm still a bit on edge about it.

In terms of Pictus cats, i think if they're over half his length you should be ok, but i'm still at the 'personal learning experience' stage myself so interested to hear your experiences or anyone elses views.

Mine are in a 130G BTW

Can you post a pic? I love to see vibrant oscars! :) thanks for the post!

Can you post a pic? I love to see vibrant oscars! :) thanks for the post!

I can do more than that. Here are pictures of 5 of the 6 cichlids in my 130G tank. I could not get one of the Rainbow cichlid, he wouldn't keep (relatively) still...

Attachments

• DSCF0159.jpg
    DSCF0159.jpg
    238.5 KB · Views: 89
  • DSCF0160.jpg
    DSCF0160.jpg
    250.6 KB · Views: 78
  • DSCF0169.jpg
    DSCF0169.jpg
    244.6 KB · Views: 82
  • DSCF0171.jpg
    DSCF0171.jpg
    179.1 KB · Views: 88
And some more, + one of my Discus from another tank....

I've got plenty more, a couple of the juvie cichlids in tank 2 (the ones i managed to capture as they all dart around like mad most of the time) and some of my catfish etc.

Attachments

• DSCF0173.jpg
    DSCF0173.jpg
    204.1 KB · Views: 86
  • DSCF0184.jpg
    DSCF0184.jpg
    202.8 KB · Views: 79
  • DSCF0175.jpg
    DSCF0175.jpg
    203.6 KB · Views: 78
  • DSCF0226.jpg
    DSCF0226.jpg
    253.4 KB · Views: 91
I can do more than that. Here are pictures of 5 of the 6 cichlids in my 130G tank. I could not get one of the Rainbow cichlid, he wouldn't keep (relatively) still...

Awesome fish!! Thanks for sharing! I'm playing with the idea of building or buying a 300 gallon tank to go amazon! But buying it I won't get the width that I would like to have.

Back
Top Bottom