Oscar bullying.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oscars- at least 12"
Chocolate- at least 6"
Geo- 10-12"
BP- 6-9"
Severum- 8"

All of those in a 125 is overdoing it i'd say.
This feedback is awesome so I figure I better give you all some specifics on the sizes of the fish RIGHT NOW
chocolate: 6.5
Geo:6
Severum: 6.5
BP: 3.5
Aggressive Albino : 9.5
New Albino: 11

So here is the latest news: As you all know I put the aggressor in time out in a separate tank until I got home at eight this evening. The new Oscar has been swimming around freely in the tank since the aggressor has been out. I then decided to put the aggressor back in the main tank.
Behavior: Aggressive Oscar has been confused with the total rearrangement of the tank. He/She (not sure) has been swimming around a bit but also sulking at the bottom of the tank near the new Oscar. He did bump him a little but nothing serious. He swam around the tank a bit, but has opted to sulk for now still near the other Oscar. Some strategically placed rock and driftwood allows the new albino to get himself in a protected corner where her seems to feel safe. I have left the lights off until further notice; I will let the natural light be the only light source for now.

This question of being overstocked has seemed to be the running theme. I will take that into consideration, but the other fish are NOT at full growth yet.

Keep the input coming, because I no longer feel so alone in this. It's tough moving BIG fish around. and man are they strong! my carpet is getting a pretty good dousing.

I will see how they are in the morning. They are both still at the bottom of the tank as of 10:30. I will report more tomorrow.

This feedback is awesome so I figure I better give you all some specifics on the sizes of the fish RIGHT NOW
chocolate: 6.5
Geo:6
Severum: 6.5
BP: 3.5
Aggressive Albino : 9.5
New Albino: 11

So here is the latest news: As you all know I put the aggressor in time out in a separate tank until I got home at eight this evening. The new Oscar has been swimming around freely in the tank since the aggressor has been out. I then decided to put the aggressor back in the main tank.
Behavior: Aggressive Oscar has been confused with the total rearrangement of the tank. He/She (not sure) has been swimming around a bit but also sulking at the bottom of the tank near the new Oscar. He did bump him a little but nothing serious. He swam around the tank a bit, but has opted to sulk for now still near the other Oscar. Some strategically placed rock and driftwood allows the new albino to get himself in a protected corner where her seems to feel safe. I have left the lights off until further notice; I will let the natural light be the only light source for now.

This question of being overstocked has seemed to be the running theme. I will take that into consideration, but the other fish are NOT at full growth yet.

Keep the input coming, because I no longer feel so alone in this. It's tough moving BIG fish around. and man are they strong! my carpet is getting a pretty good dousing.

I will see how they are in the morning. They are both still at the bottom of the tank as of 10:30. I will report more tomorrow.

Those fish are a lot bigger than I expected and I do think you're currently overstocked with that list. The fish aren't overly aggressive, so you may be able to manage that with a good boundaries. but this is a losing battle managing nitrates.

I'm curious, why the desire for 2 albino oscars?

My recommendation is to rehome the geophagus (not a good fit for this tank and should not be kept alone) and an oscar. Then you would have a more managable tank.

Those fish are a lot bigger than I expected and I do think you're currently overstocked with that list. The fish aren't overly aggressive, so you may be able to manage that with a good boundaries. but this is a losing battle managing nitrates.

I'm curious, why the desire for 2 albino oscars?

My recommendation is to rehome the geophagus (not a good fit for this tank and should not be kept alone) and an oscar. Then you would have a more managable tank.

I'm thinking the same thing regarding the Oscar unless they are getting along by the time I get home. What is it about the Geo though? He doesn't really get into it with any other fish in the tank. The Oscar will occasionally go at him or the severum, but he's fast enough and hides pretty well when he needs to. I am rethinking the second albino purchase. I admit it was a little impulsive, but I want to see how they are doing when I return home then base my decision. If or when the fish do get truly too big for the tank I WILL rehome them. Good call on the nitrates, I will check parameters when I get home.

Back
Top Bottom