Oscar Color Changes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

inquisitor

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So I know my tiger Oscar changes color. Sometimes, after feeding or when he's just being super mellow he gets to a beige color that makes his orange not really pop out. The other day, a new silver dollar rubbed against him and he turned super black and stripy. That's just one example. My theory is that the darker he is, the worse the mood. The lighter, the better the mood. Does anyone have any insight in to if I'm correct or has anyone seen the same with their Oscar?

Thanks,

You called it. A lot of Cichlid varieties stripe out when agitated or stressed.

Just out of interest - does the striping help them blend better if they were in wild? Wondered why they do it.

That I don't know. I do know that he raises his top fin in aggressive mode which I believe is to make him look bigger. Perhaps the color makes them look more intimidating, or poisonous. Or it might be specific to other oscars. A sort of communication. Just my best guesses based on what I've seen, but he's my first oscar so I certainly can't claim to be an expert.

I've observed bullied Texas Cichlids & Discus darken to nearly black, probably to blend into the dark corner or crevice they were hiding in. On the other hand I've seen Cichlids intensify their colors, display stripes, and become aggressive towards tankmates. Usually to defend nests or territories. Pictured is one of my favorite Red Terror females. She was very upset at that particular moment, displaying her bright red coloration and black stripes.

Attachments

• 20180613_191453.jpg
    20180613_191453.jpg
    239.2 KB · Views: 106
Back
Top Bottom