oscar diet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

onimusha

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
what sort of foods do u give your oscar? my oscar only accepts x3 things and that is floating pellets and frozen bloodworm block lol he has the hole thing and those dried up mealworms. one of my buds said go to the reptile section in petshop and buy live worms or crickets, is that what u would feed? also are raisins any good? cheers.

oscars can be a bit funny the way they take anything but spit it back out lol its like they are smart. I did try fishy type food like prawns, salmon but he never touches that. some oscar owners seem to feed more meaty things but I dont wanna chance it, u know like chicken or dinner left overs or beef hart. im not sure I wanna feed that. im trying to keep oscar diet good.

1.) High-quality pellet- A good size pellet from NLS is the perfect food for Oscars.
2.) Food stick- Hikari puts out lots of very very high quality 'food sticks' made for carnivores, and especially cichlids. Both of these types of stick they put out can (and probably should) be fed.
3.) many people feed them the dried red shrimps that you find in the reptile section however I don't know exactly how healthy these may be. Someone with more experience on this will be of great help.
This is a small list, granted but it gives you a general idea of what Is commonly fed and what should never be fed. Goldfish, should never be given to Oscars. Ever.
There's lots of people out there who feed them an insanely varied diet (which is very very good) and there's lots of videos on YouTube that show Oscars in nice big tanks and the friggin army of food their owners give them. However if you search up 'Oscar feeding' in the search bar beware what the results may wield...be selective of the videos you watch!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

with the oscars being 'picky' and not take any of those specially designed for cichlid foods, what can u do lol iv seen where the oscar just wont eat, its like they are very alert and aware.

with the oscars being 'picky' and not take any of those specially designed for cichlid foods, what can u do lol iv seen where the oscar just wont eat, its like they are very alert and aware.

I guess I should read the op's problem more lol.
Hopefully someone with more info on what to do with a finicky one will chime in.
They're very aware fish and will defiantly tell you if they don't like something.

My Oscar eats everything I throw in there, Hikari carnivore, NLS, tetra and king British brands, spiders, prawns, peas, carrots. I've put very occasional bits of lean Turkey and cooked salmon in and he's gobbled that up too.

I suppose some are more picky than others, you can only put in there what he'll eat. You could give the crickets a try.

Back
Top Bottom