Oscar growth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

j_randall1702

Aquarium Advice Regular
I was wondering if any of yall know how fast an oscar will grow. Mine is 3 1/2in now, but cant wait till it is atleast 8in

I've read many places that say they'll hit 8 in about a year. I've had mine since november when he was 2 inches, and he's now 4.5 inches. I think he's kind of a late bloomer.

I do all that. I guess that waiting is my down fall. I am very impatient when it comes to my pets growing. I like adult animals. I have rottie, and I consider it my fiancee dog until its big....lol

My friend's oscars hit 8" from about 2.5" in about 6 months.

Make sure your nitrates are low, they can stunt a fish's growth.

keep the water chemistry good, feed a lot, but no live fish!!!! pellets, and worms and frozen foods. keep the heat at a constant 80 and he'll grow like a weed. Mine grows 1-2" per month

feeding live foods can cause hole in the head which is hard to completely reverse, besides goldfish have no nutritional value to oscars and they make your tank a mess. just get pellets with high protien.

be patient, he'll grow!!! :roll:

I was really impatient at first too, hehe. He's my buddy now though, so I don't mind so much that his growth slowed. It's great to watch new color patterns emerge on him, and to pass the time while he grows, I'm always changing the tank decor to make it more fun and interactive.

I never understood why fish cost WAY more full grown than as youth. They are about the only animal that the prices go that way, other animals full grown are usually cheap or free. Personally, I like getting fish young and raising them myself.

my oscar is 9 inches at 6 mnths old..live food, big live food, the bigger the better, and lots of pellets..and of course, lotsa love

Back
Top Bottom